Got me a new trimmer today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My old fs85 has finally crapped out on me. It's been giving me troubles for a while, starting hard, cutting out while cutting, being a piece o' junk. Finally wouldn't start this morning, and I don't have a backup wacker. So I took it in for service, and bought a new fs110. Didn't really want to spend the dough, but I needed a trimmer, and once the old one is fixed (if?) I can use it for a backup.

The new fs110 is nice, though. It's kinda hard to get used to the sound of the engine, but it's quiter and smoother. Doesn't vibrate like the 85 did.

The problem with buying new equipment is once you start using it, it stops being all shiney and new.

:D

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, Tom, in your objective opinion, is it loud? I heard a 110 edger the other day, ( i drove past another LCO using one) and it was really loud. I haven't heard another to compare, it was really beat down looking, so I'm wondering if it was tampered with or damaged. Good luck with it, I hope it makes you plenty o' cash!

3. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

txlawnking... I borrowed my friends 85 and MY GOSH IT WAS LOUD!!! So if the 110 sounded loud, it was prolly 10 db quieter than the 85 hehehe.

4. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Tom,
    The sound does take a little getting used to, but give it a few days. I have the trimmer(2) and the edger.
    Also, you are going to absolutely FREAK over the amount of fuel you put in it the first few hours. I guess maybe during break-in this engine uses a lot more, or at least all mine did. They will get better after 8 or 10 hours. I hope you like it. I absolutely love mine.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Mine didn't use a whole lotta fuel at first. The engine is quieter, it's weird to get used to. It doesn't sound like it's running, but in reality it's cranking. It's weighted differently, as well, but that is a good thing. The engine sounds like it's gurgling, not revving like a regular 2 cycle. Other than that, it's a great machine. No probs so far, other than trying to figure out how to open the gas tank!!

:D

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the 110's are a lot quieter than the 85's, the fuel caps are great because they can't pop open on you if you bump them and the exhaust doesn't get as hot. mtdman, the 85's are pretty easy to work on, you might try cleaning or replacing the carb.