got me again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 31, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i have only a couple of customers left who are not under signed contract, and sure enough, this dirty bum is smoking me for 2 bills. when i went to clean his leaves, he said he didnt have any cash on him, and his wife had the checkbook, would i please do the work anyway, he will pay me tuesday. so, i did it, this is a customer ive had for 3 years now, never gave me a problem. now(for 5 weeks now), he wont return my calls or respont to my letters. now what????what would u do? i know alot of u r gonna say"just forget it, and move on", but im afraid i couldnt live with myself if i did that. please help
  2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get him to sign a ticket? If you did and you relly want to file a property lein. Youll get your money.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

im afraid there was nothing more than a verbal agreement. we were kind of "chummy" for the last couple years, hed invite me in for a soda and we would chat for a few minutes about this and that. guess im silly, but i kinda trusted him
  4. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

Visit him again. And keep visiting until he he feels real uncomfortable. He may choose to pay you to just get rid of you.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bobby--never forget about two bills. go after him.

if worse comes, return the leaves. you can find some somewhere.

6. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

This is why Im in the process of creating my one year contracts. This last summer a younger women called and wanted a bid on cleaning out the beds and weekly mowing. I gave her the est. she was very happy so I cleaned out her beds for $60 and mowed her lawn 7 times @ $25 per mow. The really funny thing is that she would come out and ask me to do little things like edge the flowerbeds and edge along the curb, so I would do it. After sending like 3-4 invoices I stopped mowing yes I was tring to call her, but no answer and no voicemail she gave me her cell#. The fifth and last invoice I sent was returned to me reading RETURN TO SENDER PERSON HAS MOVED AND HAS LEFT NO FOWARD ADRESS I was furious, so I bring up her file and get her cell # guess what? dissconected.

I still cant sleep at night
  7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

keep visiting,or just dump a big load of leaves in his driveway..:eek:
  8. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i would find them and give them a visit at the most "inopertune" time.
  9. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

I know it was wrong but this guy got me for about 45 bucks so after 6 tries i went 1 night and flat all 4 tires on his vehicle so i said to my self he'll pay someone. but it burns me for him to keep saying ill pay u and dont i rather u tell me no the give the runaround im wasting gas going cross town when you tell me to come and no 1 there.
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Small claims court has done the trick for me. 9 times out of 10 they will pay befor the court date because they know they have no argument. I just filed to take a customer to court the other day for the remeinder do from a landscaping job ($1200.00). Its costs me about 90 dollars for court fees and sending a constable out to serve the person. When I win the case I will get that money back.