1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my first commercial account.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, May 23, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I posted some questions about a bid on 2 acres a month or two ago, and I ended up bidding $70 per cut. Well, I finally got the account yesterday and it was overgrown in spots. It took me 90 minutes, but I am confident it will take me 70-75 next time. I'm pretty happy about it because it is a church and a very nice new one at that. It is also on a main highway, so I may pick up some new customers from it and I will definetley take pride in it. I just wanted to let you guys know how that turned out.

-Nick Howard
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

first off congrats,
    that sounds just like the church i do! you better not have stolen it!! haha, it takes us 1 1/2 hours to cut, edge, trim & blow everything off...2 man crew... $250.00 per cut.
  3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

i got a church also takes me alone 2 hr 10 min to do and i get 175 .00 a cut
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

$70 for 2 acres?

I have a new commercial account at the beginning of this season... 1.01 acres for $80. I think you under bid.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

$70....... :dizzy: I bet you did get it.......
  6. Howie's Lawn Care

There were three bids including mine, and I know one of the other two was $40.00 per hour and the people expected it to take them 2 hours. I'm happy with $70.00 in 75 minutes. I'll probably be able to raise it next year since I'll do I great job. That's just a given. I see so many bumbs doing horrible work, but I've got the equipment and the knowledge that I pretty much always do a great job. I know I'm being cocky, but all my customers have been happy with my work and I just make sure everything looks well. Its not that hard, but I see so many people get away with skipping certain trimming and edging, or jsut leaving clumps everywhere. Its unacceptable, but people put up with it. A guy at my church said the guy that mows his neighbors lawn did the following. He had his daughter mow bagging with a push mower, and he emptied the bag. He had to empty it about every two stripes. This guy is pathetic and I've seen his work on various occasions. He freaking round-uped the entire edge of this lady's sidewalk last year, his form of edging. It looked horrible. Alot of people don't care about quality, they just need to afford the cost of living. I guess I just typed alot, but didn't really say anything. It's just the way I feel.

-Nick Howard
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

$70 for 2 hours is not that bad for a first year, not even a second.

You guys on your $60 / hour kick, I don't always get that, and $60 / hour for 20 minutes is no better than $75 in 2 hours because while you're driving, the Wb keeps earning.

I would say it's a bit low, but then contracts are for the lowest bidder, I just hope you can git'r done in 75, 2 acres would take me closer to 2 hours everytime, flat out... Still not too bad, thou I might've went 80-85 and really 100-110 is right but if you need the work, this year's been pretty lean for me.

So, I think it's ok.
  8. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

I get at least $50 an acre if its wide open. If there is alot of obsticles i charge accordingly. If you keep doing quality work , most people dont mind paying. I've had several customers of mine for over 20 years that dont worry about the price because they know that you get what you pay for and they know im not in the buisness to break even.
  9. Howie's Lawn Care

Update...the previous two cuts have taken me 45 and 48 minutes. The 45 was mowing long ways and skipping side ditch. The 48 was mowing ditch and going short ways. The other side is short and longways also, explaining the similar times. The other yard I do about 3 minutes away is $40 for 50-55 minutes. I am heppier with the price now that I have increased my speed. Its very rough terrain at spots and I finally said screw it and go through it full speed.