Got my first NPR!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mosmgras, May 21, 2005.

1. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I went yesterday and picked up my first NPR truck. It's a 1999 diesel with the 5-sp trans. Everything runs out very well. I found one with a 16' flatbed already on it. Sometime in the next week or so I plan to cut the bed down to 13' and attach a 48" dovetail and 60" tailgate. After measuring everything up I think the bed needs to be shortened so that the dovetail section won't stick out so far behind the axle. With this set-up, I'll have to park my Sentar on the dovetail. Has anyone had experience doing this? I also want to put some rails down the side. I have to say that reading all the positive posts on this site about these trucks really convinced me to purchase one and get away from the truck/trailer thing. Anyone have ideas as to how I should arrange racks/boxes? Thoughts? Comments?

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a 15 degree angle on the ramp. Compute the angle and decide how much dove tail must be installed in order to get the ramp length to your liking. I think the total dove tail and ramp will have to be about 11' long to get a safe angle. There is a place in Atlanta that charges about $1200 for the dove tail and a spring loaded ramp. Their installation is very impressive both for looks and strength. The ramp is a one handed operation.

I had an '03 NPR with a 16' box that we used for deliveries and considered installing a dove tail and ramp. I have seen several installs on NPR trucks and you really don't need to cut down the bed. Weigh the axles and you will find out just how much weight is on the front axle.

Oldtimer

3. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I was thinking to cut the bed down so that the dove tail wouldn't drag pulling into and out of driveways. I did some measuring it looks like it would. I have a 150" wheel base chassis. The existing deck surface is 40" from the ground. These are the numbers that I came up with: Leave the bed length alone, add a 48" dovetail at 15 deg. and it would scrape at a departure angle of 10 deg. Cut the bed length down, add the same tail and it would scrape at 15 deg. Does this sound right? Has anyone attempted a project like this before? Any advice? Thanks

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member