1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my first sod installation.. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by greenbeanservice, Jul 7, 2006.

1. greenbeanservice

greenbeanservice LawnSite Member

Need to find out some problems that may happen while installing sod. Any good tips would also be appreciated. Any formulas for estimating prices(square foot??). Thanks in advance

Green Bean
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you tell your customer this was your first job?
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

450 sq. ft.( or 50 sq. yds.) to a pallet. Pallet weighs about 2k lbs. (moist soil). Need equipment to move pallet if installing many pallets. If open area, consider 30 yd. rolls. Get some help. Install green side up. Use the right grass for your sun requirements. Get some help. Stagger your seams..Use large pieces at edges or near concrete...Get some help. Use an stick edger to cut in...put soil around naked edges...roll after install...water immediately..get paid good money...

good luck.............................:)
  4. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my first sod install also, about 4500 sq ft (we usually seed/hydroseed because of the size of the props out here. Ive done it before helping a friend, should be a fun job, lots of other stuff with this job (irrigation, landscape wall, plantings, mulch, etc. )payup
  5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

water, water, water!!
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic