1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

got my first zero turn mower and.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Apr 28, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

It makes this humming sound when you turn. Is this normal in all of them?
    Also, When Im just getting used to driving it, When I try to cut a strip and then turn to cut another strip next to it, The inside tire leaves small rivots in the yard. Can these turns be made? what am I doing wrong?
  2. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds pretty normal. What make did you buy?
  3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the mower to an open field and teach yourself to run it..... The best suggestion on turning is to always make sure the INSIDE tire is moving. The humming/whining sound is the hydro pumps which in normal.
  4. stevenf

When you cut, do you cut a line, then turn and cut another line next to that one? It seems impossible to make that turn if the tire has to be moving.
  5. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I don't know why they call ztr's "zero turn radius" mowers. There is no such thing in our industry... unless you are not concerned about your clients overall finish! ZTR's are faster than your standard rider, but they are tricky to learn how to operate if you are not used to them. I make a 3 point turn with ours. Now if your clients turf is in excellent shape, you can get away with almost a true zero turn, but this is not very common.
  6. stevenf

What do you mean by 3 point turning?
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

At the end of your row, start making a left. Stop. Back up with the left wheel backing faster than the right. Then when you're far enough back, stop, and proceed down your next row.

The key is to keep both wheels moving together. If one wheel is moving and the other one isn't, you're digging in. Make your turns by keeping the wheels moving but at different speeds. Be smooth.:)
  8. stevenf

RAZOR1- Its a Lawnboy Z350 HLX. I got it for $500.00 :)
  9. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

When you turn make sure your tires are always turning, pull on one handle and push on the other, if the tire stops and pivots it will leave a rut every time. On your first pass go a little further then make your turn and line back up. As far as the humming it is just the hydraulics, and yes it is normal.