Got my foot in the door with a Property Management Company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Pro Lawn Care, May 29, 2003.

1. Turf Pro Lawn Care

Turf Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I was mowing one of my customers and the home next door has a for Rent sign, The yard was a couple weeks over grown and full of trash that was blowing into my customers yard. So I called the number on the sign to inform the Property management company that this property was in dismay and since I was here I would take care of it till it is rented for a monthly fee. I quoted her a price and she accepted it and told me to fax her something that evening. I faxed a proposal/contract when I got home. She faxed me back today with the signed contract. She wants to meet with me next week to discuss some more properties they have that need maintained. I looked the Company up on the web and they have over 500 properties residential and commercial. Wish me luck. I will post the results next week of the meeting.

Bob

2. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Great job, Bob!!

Sounds like you got a nice hookup in the bag!!

Stick-NINe

3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i do work for a property management co too, picked it up just about the same way about a year ago. seems like alot of one timers (between rents),occassionals, clean ups, and they always seem to be a short ways just outside my regular areas so i bump the price a little. but work is work, money is money, and they seem to pay pretty quick, so in all i'd say i'm pretty happy with the one i got. plus i think i'm about to get another one too. good luck.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, there is an industry term for this that you have just done - a rather technical one, as well. It's called HUSTLING! That's what it's all about. You see, there are three types of people in this world. There are those that make it happen, those that sit back and watch it happen, and then there are those that say. Hey, what the heck just happened!?
    Well, my lunch is over, it's time to get back out there and hit it. Good luck with it!;)

5. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Turf Pro Lawn Care
    I own a property management company in central Florida and I have to warn you about the ethics of some of our competitors.

1. As a property management company they usually want alot of service for next to nothing in payment and they want it yesterday.

2. If they can usually find some one to do the job cheaper you might be out of luck when it comes renewing a contract if they have done one in the first place.

3. Don't I repeat Don't do work and let them not pay you. It happens a lot Some companies pay net 90 and then you have to fight for it.

4. Find out about their back charge policy for damages IE cut screen from a string trimmer or the down spouts damaged from careless workers.

5. I Personally have heard that some companies will go through 4-5 LCO's in a year. They let the bill add up and then replace the LCO with a new lower bid.

Not all property management companies are bad to deal with most of the larger companies have gone "in house" to maximize profits
    Im me and I will give you some names to be wary of

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is great news. This could really be a sweet deal for you. Remember to let us know how it turns out.

Gravely_Man

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I hope you have better luck than I've had with PM Companies. In my experience, they have all of the problems that Flo 5 Star mentioned and more! I wouldn't touch any with a 10' pole - no matter how many homes they manage. NOOOO SPANK YOU!!!

8. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I always interview property management companies before any bid is submitted. I also require 3 references from vendors that they currently use.

Bottom line; 90% are terrible to work with.

Good Luck!

9. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

yeah i got the same deal with a Real Estate co in ct .. just happend to drive by the office.. and saw the sign.. decided to drop them a flyer i had just made up and bam already have me doing all the work for most of their agents cause the guy before me did bad work