Got my hedge trimmer stolen..but I got it back!

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Tom'sLandscapeDesign, Aug 6, 2009.

1. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

If the guy with the gun has a carrying permit,and didn't display it and the thief admitted stealing the trimmer,what law did he break? The cops by me were useless when I had my new redmax stolen,didn't want to be bothered,I would have done the same thing as him minus the gun,just bring my weightlifter son,what laws would I be breaking if I had the receipt with the serial #s and they matched ?

2. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Man were talking about making people lie face down in the dirt, or beat the crap out of them. Were a bunch of tough guys arent we? Bunch of hardasses on here.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's the way I see it, too.

However...
    Bringing along your 250 pound muscular friend falls under the same category,
    intimidation by 'show of force' I believe is called strong arm robbery.

That's why he should have just went and got the dang thing, blocking the dude in doesn't make it much better,
    although I can see that he didn't want the guy to start running.

At the same rate you would never catch ME behind some shopping center trying to sell YOU a trimmer!
    If it was my trimmer you can darn well get over my house lol
    I would be far less afraid if you and several of your friends came over than if you told me to meet you behind some shopping center...
    And I could be wrong but I just don't think you'd see me there.

So this fellow was either extremely foolish...
    Well, that he was regardless.
    Or trying to get rid of a hot item by any means necessary.

I do believe the chances that it really was the trimmer in question are pretty good.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Gee whiz, you let him off easy. Personally, I would not have taken the gun. I would have taken some pepper spray, zap him with it, bind his wrist and ankles with a few large zip ties, and THEN threaten him. Cheers!

5. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

only thing I might have done different was tell cops your meeting a guy who you suspect just stole your hedger earlier that day..let them decide if they want to check it out with you.

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, that is what should have happened. However, if a gun was not pulled then you really didnt do anything that would call for serious charges anyway. Your lucky.

7. decypher

decypher LawnSite Member

Any professional dealer should have that serial number on file. The receipt of purchase should also list the serial #. Match the numbers. 'Nuff said.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. volvotech

volvotech LawnSite Member

That's a terrible idea! Somehow, it sounds like a great idea right now though. :)

9. NEWIMAGE09

NEWIMAGE09 LawnSite Member

I just had mine stolen out of target parking lot a couple of weeks ago in gainesville ga. i've been checking craigslist and flea market and no luck yet. However when i do find the pos that stoled them, i guarantee he wont be so lucky!!

10. rockerchris

rockerchris LawnSite Member

I know you already found it, but if you put it on a credit card then it would be "insured" for up to 90 days by the credit card company. Just thought I would reveal this little known feature in case anyone else has there brand new equipment stolen.