1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my money in a way i never knew could be done

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Aug 5, 2005.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I mowed some peoples prop 2 times about three months ago for $125 a trip. The first time she writes me a check go to the bank and deposit no problem. The second time I go get my check deposit it and about a week later I get it back in the mail saying NSF(non suffecient funds) I call and she says I will mail it. Wait 2 weeks and never get it...then I call and she says it must have got lost in the mail and she will mail another one. Wait 2 weeks again and no check. I call and her mail box is full and I called about 20 times for about a week and nothing. I go by the house 5 times, no one ever home. The check sits on my desk for three months and Im stewing over it every time I look at it so I take the check to there bank to see if the funds are available and the teller says yes. I ask if I can cash it ..being it was wrote out to my business name.. and the teller says let me see what I can do. He comes back and says he can make me out a cashiers check but it will cost me $15 and I said go for it. I never knew the bank would do this but Im happy I got $110 of the $125 and I hope those people are pissed about it.
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Had something like that happen once. This guy wrote a check for $250 knowing that he didn't have the money. After about two weeks I found out that he had $240 in the bank. I walked in to a branch and then deposited $11 bucks into his account. Drove to another branch and cashed the check. It cost me $11 bucks and some time but I got the $$$. I am sure he was a little surprised. A local cop told me that trick. You can call the automated teller line to verify the check and keep dropping the amount until you get to a point it will clear. Then you know how much money they have.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

good job. around here if a check comes back NSF 'hot check' it is a felony for the person who wrote it and you can take it to the prosecuting attourney's office and file criminal charges against them. thought id share that in case it ever happened again

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

There Is Also A Service That Guarantees A Check Is Good Before You Deposit It And Will Resubmit It Electronially Either 5 Times A Day Or It Will Check The Account Balance And Send It Through Immediately When There Is Sufficient Funds. The Service Aint Cheap Though. Plus A Customer Can Get Banged 20 Plus Times For The Nsf. If The Customer Is A Jerk Its Ok But If It Was An Honest Mistake You Just Burned Your Bridge.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

It's good you got paid, next time this happens, call the customer's bank, go thru the merchant check verification line, normally it's automated and you just punch in the dollar amount of the check. Then they'll give you a yes or no as to whether the funds are available.
  6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have done that a few times. I'll wait till a friday or military payday and go in and cash it.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, the banks have done that for many, many years as I have had several NSF Checks converted to Cashiers Checks once they were good, but I have yet to be charged for it either.....must be my good looks and charming ways..lol
  8. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Brian, Just so you know .....in Arkansas the check has to be over $200.00 to be a felony.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Happened a few times to me. I try and get the person to make it right. Then I go to the police station and turn it in. They write the person a letter stateing x law and they will have 30 days to pay. I have received all but one within one week. The other was procecuted for intent to steal. I went to court for the DA and they received 30 days in jail and 200 hrs of community service. The still had to pay me and I receive 10 a month for almost 4 years. It is crap but it works.