Got my mower w/17hp Kawi back from shop....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

.....and I'm wondering if the mechanic did what he was supposed to do. He put a new carb on it. While I was there we fired it up, of course. Seemed fine, but it was weird for me because I had been running my 15 hp Kawi belt drive (backup) for more than a couple weeks staight & sorta got use to it. The sound of the engine, etc., which is like brand new and very smooth.

When I was at his shop picking up the mower I asked if he went ahead & adjusted the valves & he said "oh yeah, I did since I had the cover off....even though it's not on the invoice." Then - - he hand wrote it on there.

When I got the machine he put the carb on back in the field it seemed to me the engine had some knock or tapping. I only did one job with her & parked her again. The mower seemed to bog a little in some taller grass. The 15 hp kawi I have did not.

So what do I do? I feel like another trip to a different mechanic is in order.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My first question is why did this guy take the valve cover off to replace the carb. :dizzy:
    It sounds to me this guy didn't know what he was doing, Especially since it now makes more noise and has less power than before.
    I would strongly suggest getting it to a Kawasaki approved dealer and get this guys screw up strightened out before running it any longer.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Thanks rob. My feelings exactly. The bad news is that's he is kawi certified. He had some other odd input too, I swear. I'm no expert but he was saying I ought to put gas stabilizer in my tanks regularly & I know that's not necessary. First off, I put fuel directly into the mower tanks, only. I don't run around with back up cans on the truck that sit for however long. I go through a tank in a day or two. This guy very much wanted to sell me a sulky................and this after I told him I've already got one but it's hooked to my other mower.

4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Sounds to me that shop is a ripoff.I would try to find another shop like Rob said.I work on my own stuff and have run into shops where they want to sell you everything under the moon and tell you that this and that is bad when its not.Thats why i work on my own stuff and not have to deal with them other than to get parts.Also if im not sure of something i ask Rob.The best thing i can tell ya is find another shop and go from there.

5. Restrorob

Well, This goes to show a certificate doesn't mean anything unless one will use the knowledge wisely and to the fullest of there ability and WANT to perform a certain task properly.
    Good luck in your search for a REAL Service Technician.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

yeah I reckon I'm becoming more & more of my own mechanic. This is a weak area for me, admittedly. I'm the type where if I've had the mechanical problem before, no sweat. Diagnosing though is a whole different thing. Can't do it. I'm learning and this forum is a big time help. I appreciate it.

7. Restrorob

Nadda problem