1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my new 757 this week.....need your opions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fulldraw68, Mar 25, 2005.

1. fulldraw68

fulldraw68 LawnSite Member

I just go my new JD 757. Was reading through the owner's manual about the maintenance on the Kawasaki 25 hp. It says at 300 hours to take the mower back to the dealer and have the valve clearance adjusted, clean and lap the valve seat, clean combustion chamber, and adjust PTO clutch air gap. :rolleyes: My dealer tells me that no-one ever does this and that he knows of no problems. The question I have for everyone is this.....do any of you do this or think it is necessary. It's not that I don't trust my dealer it's just that he does not sell too many of these mowers and I would like more opinions.

Grass is green....just as the mower should be!!
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

hey man, it's free. any mechanice worth his salt should be able to do the things listed. just take it in to the dealer. if he damages it, it's his loss. it's under warranty.

another reason to take it to the dealer for the maintenace, is that if you ever have another warranty problem, they may void your warranty becuase you didn't take it in when the manual said to.
  3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I personally lean towards having all maintenance done as needed. It's the least I can do for a piece of equipment that is so vital to my business. Maybe it would void the warranty if you don't have it done.
  4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Are you sure that it is free? They don't do oil changes for free and I think that this is regular maintenance like that only in a longer interval.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My dealer doesn't do that sort of work for free, not considered warranty work thats pm work same as oil changes.

No, i haven't done any valve work on my 757's and I won't unless there is a problem.
  6. I've been in business for twenty years and I have never had those things done to my new engines and haven't noticed any drop in performance or have them fail prematurely. Not to say you shouldn't do them but I haven't. I also have the JD 757 for about a year now with the Kawi 25hp with about 1000 hrs on it and no problems. It's a great machine.
  7. TClawn

your right, after re-reading it, I don't think it will be free. I think the thing you need to figure out, is if you will void your warranty by NOT doing this. if not, forget it. if it will, you will seriously have to consider if it's worth it.
  8. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

So what was your reason for bying a 757? Have you always been a John Deere fan? Or was it because you like the dealer and/or got a good deal? I just bought a 7H17 (48" hydro walkbehind) myself. I bought it despite the fact that it listed for $1K over an equal sized/powered SCAG. The dealer met me half way and backed down $500, and he's committed to customer service, so I bought it anyway. But don't you find JD a little over-priced?
  9. TClawn

I've found that some of the higher priced dealers are worth it. sure you can get $1000 less at the original purchase, but you can loose that money real fast if your down for an extra week because of bad dealer service.
  10. fulldraw68

fulldraw68 LawnSite Member

I bought the JD after trying out several others and talking to those whom have used all kinds. What I bought the JD for was in the price range of the other mowers I was looking at. The dealer is great to work with and I think JD makes quality equipment. I have mowed with a ton of other mowers and I have not bee on one that cut the grass like the JD with the 7 iron. The other thing I looked at was resale. JD is well ahead of the competition on all the other brands in my area. Hey, I'm not knocking anyone's mower I'm just going on my own research and experience. :D