Got my new blower today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Mar 23, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I got my new Echo PB-603 blower today an it's sweet. I just don't think I'll ever get to use it full blast cause it's too powerful and loud when it's full blast. Looks like I'll need to buy a heavy duty pair of ear plugs. I could imagine what the PB-650 is like.
  2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

thats good to hear, Im picking up the 650 monday. Dealer here wanted me to go with the redmax 7000, Im sure either way would be great echo is a little cheaper though.
  3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the 650 at an open house today and it blew all of the others away. They had a tube setup with a 10 ounce ball in it and the red went half way up while the 650 blew the ball out of the tube and 10 feet into the air. The tube itself was about 12-15 feet high. One of the mechanics came out with a Robin or Jonsered and it only pushed the ball about 3 feet high, it was funny because he went back into the shop and we cold hear him tuning his blower! I was impressed with most of the Echo product line. They had this new starter system even my grandmother could start that stuff!
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I saw the same demonstration. We were able to compare Shindaiwa's top blower, Redmax 7000 and the Stihl BR420 to the ECHO PB650. WOW is all I can say. I was NOT an ECHO fan prior to that demo. I have 2 BR400's and love them, but for roughly $50 more, I am afraid I'd pick ECHO now.
  5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful with the rave reviews about the Echo PB650. I was extremely impressed with it when I first saw it along with the little demonstration test in which the tennis ball is blown into the air. Then the dealer said the following to me, "Of course if the Shindaiwa and Red Max had shorter tubes like the PB650, the difference would not be so great." I never looked at that before.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Last year I put a curved end on my Echo PB650. Made all the difference in the world for blowing out beds. That baby is sweet...wouldn't trade it for anything.
  7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I videtaped the demo and the tubes don't look that much different to me. Also, I thought it was one of those spongy balls but it was a solid ball-at least 10 ounces if not a pound. Fact is, it blew the ball at least 10 feet in the air, out of the tube. Price quoted-$399

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

Yesterday I was blowing leaves out of a river rock garden at about half throttle with the ECHO 650. At full throttle it would blow tennis ball size rock around like they were feathers. I've been spoiled on this machine since last fall.
  9. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

The ball test looks impressive, but in the real world, cfm is the name of the game. When you constrict air in a tube, you are using only mph, not cfm. I have never blown an area twenty feet long and cleaning a size the width of a small ball. In the tube and ball test, a smaller cfm but larger mph looks impressive, but real world test tells me to look for the most cfm for your cc size of blower. 600cfm w/200 mph will blow wider and farther than a 480cfm w/250 mph. The ball test is an old salesman's trick that looks good. Trust me, cfm is the name of the game!
    Oh, and by the way, my choice is REDMAX!
  10. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

After just reading my reply, let me correct myself just a bit. There is a presence of cfm (cubic ft. per min.) there has to be. but its not a factor in this test, mostly mph. Take those tested blowers out on the job, thats where you notice cfm differences. The more volume of air, the more debris you will blow. Ask any dealer, if he is honest, he'll tell you cfm is more important. Hope this helps you out in your next purchase.