Got my new Salsco PTO Chipper

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by RedRed, Feb 20, 2005.

1. RedRed

RedRed LawnSite Member
    from PA

After searching high and low for a used PTO chipper I finally broke down and bought a new one. I got a Salsco Model# 624 PTO chipper. The unit so far seems pretty good...it definitely is built like a brick. I was concerned because the minimum PTO HP for the Model# 624 was 16. My B7800 has 16.5 PTO HP so I'm on the low end of the HP requirement. To my surprise (and delight) the B7800 barely even grunts when you feed a 4 1/2" log through it. That was another thing is that it chips up the small ones just as fast as the big ones. The downside is that it doesn't throw the chips very far...especially when you're feeding small stuff through it just kinda barely burps it outta the chute. Pricewise I compared it only to the D.R. PTO version which was a joke for $1799.00 plus $200 shipping. The Salsco brand is 5x's as heavy with a 360 degree chute for $2500 and they delivered for free since they would be in my part of town when coming back from a tradeshow. Attached is a picture of the unit on my trailer.

DVC00099.JPG

2. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

Sweet Red :drinkup: . I have been renting one when I need one, but may have to look into a tractor driven one.

Jim