1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my Private Applicator License - now what chemical to use on weeds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landcruiser, Apr 30, 2004.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I live in the Dallas, Tx area and just passed my Private Applicators license so I can buy whatever I want to kill weeds in my lawn. I have a lawn of 80% Bermuda, 20% St. Augustine. I have severe dandelion infestation in some areas, lots of either goosegrass or crabgrass (I'm not sure which) and some henbit and clover. I fertilize, mow and water regular and really want a pretty yard. I work hard at it but have never gotten weeds under control using "dept. store" weed killers. Problem is, I know nothing about the better stuff I can now buy. What should I use? Where are places I can buy it? We have Lesco's if they are a good place to buy chemicals. I have neighbors that used Trugreen Chemlawn and places similar that come out and spray liquid weed control and their yards look perfect. What in the heck are these places using? It looks like it would work for me as well. Help me out or tell me someone who can please.
  2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I would try Lesco, the are generally helpful. As far a dandilions go a weed control with 2-4D or something like Momentum will control them. A post-emergent such as MSMA will help with the goosegrass and crabgrass.
  3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Congrats on the test!!!

I with Robertsturf on this one.. Check with Lesco they will steer you in the right direction. More than likely they will recommend Momentum.
  4. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I talked with Lesco a few weeks ago before getting the license and they talked about 3-Way and Momentum as being the "restricted" items I could use w/the license. They said 3-Way can be used on St. Augustine and Bermuda but Momentum should not be applied to St. Augustine. I'll read the label myself before buying. I am assuming these both use 2-4-d as the active ingredient and will kill the broadleafs such as dandelions? Won't these kill the goosegrass (or crabgrass) and clover also or will I strictly have to deal with them with MSMA? I have used MSMA in the past but I would really like some sort of "mixture" that I can spray my entire yard like TruGreen Chemlawn does to my neighbors - MSMA says to only "spot" spray.
  5. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Momentum will not work on Goosegrass, orchard grass and crabgrass. MSMA work, but Drive 75 is the best!!
  6. Wasn't some of this covered in study material for pesticide license?
  7. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Its not if you live in NC...
  8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the active in Drive 75 ?
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

It's not in my state either. Being safe, read label and environmentally cautious is what I got out of it. Which is fine, but nothing about what chemicals to use.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

My reference material indicates that Bentazon is the only post emergent that is considered completely safe for use in both Bermuda and St. Augustine.

The big three (2-4-D, mecoprop and dicamba) are risky on the St. Augustine.

I'd normally trust the Lesco folks for good advice as they know your area well.