1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got my Private Applicator License - now what chemical to use on weeds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landcruiser, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

atrazine is what I use on my lawn
  2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

drive pic.jpg
  3. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Timturf, in Texas, the test is just as dfor says - safety, understanding the label, etc. but no detail on what chemicals to use where. We're on our own on that.
  4. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Josey Wales, is Drive 75 available at places like Lesco? Is it safe in Bermuda and St. Augustine?
  5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

What other names is Drive 75 sold under?

The active that is?
  6. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Drive is available from Lesco, Estes, etc....

It's safe for bermuda but the label says that St Augustine is susceptable to injury.

Here's a link to the page that has the PDF label...

http://www.turffacts.com/lawn products labelsmsds.asp
  7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Drive is available at Lesco's in Texas.
    For a mixed stand of turf, Drive or Momentum work well-remember to alternate for best efficacy.
    Landcruiser-if you put 2,4-D, atrazine or MSMA on your mixed stand of turf you will, in all probability, kill all of it.
    2,4-D is highly phytotoxic to St Augustine, MSMA will flat kill it and atrazine will kill Bermudagrass.
    You can use Drive, however, Momentum works as well.
    Do not forget the non-ionic spray adjuvant either.
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the way its applied and the addition of surfactants and adjuvants that make the Tru Green lawns look good. Even Weed B Gon at the Home Depot will do a good job if applied correctly with the right equipment.
  9. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Atrazine will not kill bermuda. It is labeled for bermuda and an excellent, economical pre-emerge product when used properly. Simazine is very similar. Best to keep the 2,4-D off of St. Aug especially during green-up---especially Raleigh, but I have never seen significant damage--must labels say to use extreme caution. MSMA will fry it however. If your in Tx your St. Aug is probably just in shade areas anyway.
    Tx Private license has a different test and less CEU requirements,etc for those who wish to apply to own property only. Tx Commercial license is more in line with other states and required for those who charge.