Got my soil test... 90 lb of lime per 1000??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Allright... just got all my soil tests back... some lawns say "90" in the lime recommendation... I know that the nitrogen recommendations are per 1000...

so if this is right.. and some of my lawns call for 90lb per 1000... assuming that lime comes in 50lb bags... it'll take 18 bags to do a 10,000 ft lawn!??

sounds a little extreme... and what's the most you can put down in one app? And finally, how long after the app can you seed??

Thanks in advance for any help..

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to the real world.

How many friggin posts are we gonna read where some guy puts down 80lbs of lime (over the entire lawn)

....what the friggin hell will that do.

3. Rayholio

I see your point... but everything else in a 50 lb bag will cover at least 5000 sq feet... so I can understand their confusion... seems like someone would have developed a more efficiant way to take care of that PH...

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you might want to research the lime you plan on using and making sure you can put down 90lbs/1000 in one shot. the most I recommend putting down in one season is 50lb/1000

YMMV

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

5lbs per 100 or 50 lbs per 1000 is the max recommended.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

It will require 2 applications to get that much lime down. Probably 3 or 4 applications to get your ph back into the range you need it.

Why?

Because it's commonly accepted that the soil can only "process" 50# of lime per 1k sq. ft. in one application to reduce ph by 1 point. By the time you can apply lime again.....usually twice a season.... your ph will have risen slightly again, requiring more lime.

Put 50# per 1K sq ft in 3 well spaced apps. Now, next spring and then again next fall, then recheck the ph levels.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

1-2 tons per acre is pretty common when it comes to farmers..........
    Lawncare isn't much different and at 90/1000 you are at 1.9 tons per acre.
    It does little good to drop that much lime on a lawn at one time because it washes out before it can be used.
    Farmers regularly do over 1-2 tons per acre but it is being tilled under when applied, not top dressed.

8. Rayholio

Great advice.... how long after this 1st app should I seed? or could I do them simo?

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do it same trip.

10. Rayholio

Kinda what I figured... Thanks again!

You know.. it musta been really hard to learn this stuff, and get reliable information before the internet was big.... what a great time I live in! LOL