Got myself into a pickle

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Necroshine, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Necroshine

Necroshine LawnSite Member

Handed out some business cards last week during my bowling league. A lady I bowl with was interested in getting an estimate. Was weary, but needing some business I went for it.

Its a small horse farm, a few steep hills I won't touch, brush removal in a few large lots that I'm not equipped for as well. She also needs weed killing , fences built, gates installed, and other odd jobs around the house. In her words, she's desperate for somone she can trust to do this.

I also told her I'm not liscensed for chemicals, the hills were too steep, and the grass in the horse pastures is too high for my mower ( 12-16 inches) and I won't touch it. Lord knows what obstacles I'll run into on the first pass as well. I recommended to her that she would be better of with a full service landscape company and maybe a handyman, since I'm fresh starting out and pretty much setup for suburbia for now. I even had a few numbers for her to call too.

This wasn't too good an answer. I though it was good, though:) . She gives me this I know you and trust you and need someone who I can trust to come in here. After a going back and forth, she said if you can just mow the house that will be fine. I bascially got guilt tripped into it. I figured, its 1 mowing, I'll charge by the hour and not return. I see so many red flags, bells, whistles... good thing i'm getting this outa the way now!

I know its my fault for agreeing to an estimate to somone I sorta know. I should have stuck to my principles, but I saw $$, now its biting my in the arse:hammerhead: Anyhow, when I'm through tonight with this one cut, I won't be doing any more work for her.

What is a good way to turn down someone that is laying a guilt trip on you?

2. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

say no, or say that at the moment you aren't capable of handling a property with the needs that one has.

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! You should have her buy you all the necessary equipment to do the job, on a regular basis, and you might want to think about moving in with her as well with all of that work! :)

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the pickle-- do any work you can for her and not anything else.
    Also run by your local Sunbelt and rent stuff to do what you don't have equipment for.
    Like pickles, her money is green -- isn't it??

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What guilt trip is she laying on you. You asked for work and she gave you some??

6. Necroshine

Necroshine LawnSite Member

Well, when she says you " do not " have to do any work for me if you do not want to. I figured after the estimate of the property, and that we are on the same team it may cause some friction if something goes wrong.

I took that all into consideration , and just feel that it might not be a good idea to work for friends, even if its just a casual aquaintenance. And after all was said and done, and she said that she'd understand if I don't want to take her on, I still feel like I'm being coerced into this by her.

I've got enough headaches at my normal job, and don't want need another one on job #2, at least not at first:rolleyes:

7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If she has a horse farm why doesn't she have a tractor? If I were you I would go get a JD or New Holland tractor with loader and mower and a ZTR for her yard and finishing around the barn or stuff like that. (If you do decide to go this route get AC and cab with the tractor, its a must) Then your set and you can get to work. :) Then give her a monthly price to up keep everything and you will pay back your equipment pretty quick. You could also find another person who needs this work so you can split the cost of the equipment and start to make big $$$$. Eventually you will be happy you know her cause maybe you can park your stuff for free there.

8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Important!! Is she willing to pay what the work is worth?

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Important!! Is she willing to pay what the work is worth?
    Don't start off with this kind of clients with cheap prices. She needs you more than you need her. I'm not saying to gouge her. Just no special deals and freebies. This is a client who probably won't drop you too easily once you're established. Of course, if she's a cheapskate this could be the reason she can't get anybody else.

10. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I agree with you. Just saying if she's willing to pay then be willing to go buy some equipment. :clapping: