Got new customer, She needs advice on this Rose. ASAP.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by soloscaperman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use a steak....maybe a fish head.

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Lol Doc....... Just cut them down and maybe throw a little rose fertilizer on them in the spring. They will be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a pink Knock Out to me. That said K/O roses are pretty tough and dont get much, if any winter damage and need little to no ancillary winter protection. A yearly pruning in late winter will keep the bush at a manageable size. Use sharp, sterilized pruning shears to cut back Knock Out roses. Prune back to 12 to 18 inches tall to encourage new growth in the spring. Use some organic fert or a 12-12-12 blend......& let em rip!

4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

5. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

At this point, I think I would bury them in leaves or straw, the weather is going to turn, after the first sign of frost is gone trim them back hard. .

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Up against the building and under a mulch of stone and being they are NOT tea roses, I would not cover the plant itself for the winter... Those cones are great for voles and other rodents and perfect for fungal diseases that will start as soon as the temps inside the cone reach 40 degrees...

I would look into the concept of removing 1/3 of the oldest stems each Spring scenario for these roses. The idea being that every 3 years it is a total rejuvenated plant.

I guess, you can prune roses almost anytime but dormant Spring is best for the sake of cleaning up broken branches and misc. winter kill.

7. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You should state your area/planting zone in your user info. Here in zone 7, we prune roses between feburary 15 and March 15. There are some good youtube videos on pruning roses....watch them.

8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Connecticut

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Feb-Mar is fine in Z4 as well... Along with Apr-Jan... :)

10. professional

professional LawnSite Member

Something I learned years ago and has been successful is the use of pine needles for winter protection. I gather them from clients properties in the fall as part of my fall cleanups and use them around the roses of other clients. Recycle. Pine needles do not hold much moisture while helping moderate ground temps around the roses. Maybe eight to ten inches deep and about 12" around. They also stay put real well. Remove them mid-March.