Got new toy today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dtelawncare, Mar 28, 2006.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

Got my skidsteer loader today. It is an older model, but runs great. I got it at a steal. I have never run one before today. I played on it for a couple hours before I came in. Even had to use the lights to see. Just wanted to share my glee with everyone else My wife just gives me that look. I know it will streamline profits for my business. Sorry to ramble, I'm just tickled about my new toy.

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of skid did you get? What did you pay for it? And how about some pics.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Let's see some pics.

4. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

Its a GEHL. I'll have to look at the exact model tomorrow. It is an older model. I gave $2,500 for it. Got forks and the bucket with it. Only real thing wrong with it is the tires. They are foam filled and worn out. They will work for now, but have vitrually no traction. I will try to get a couple pics on here tomorrow. I didn't think to get any today. I was like a kid coming home fron the toy store on my way home. I do have one dilemma. I am borrowing a trailor for now. Maybe you guys can give some needed advice. I drive an 05 Tundra. It is rated to pull a little over 7,000 lbs. Does not have rear disc brakes. I will most definately get a trailor with brakes on it. Even with the trailor brakes, will I have a lot of extra wear on my truck. I know it has enough power, just not sure about the weight behind it. The spec plate on the skid is not on the equip. I asume a new trailor loaded with skid will weigh in around 10,000. I do love the Toyata, but realize I may have to step up to a 3/4 ton. Let me now what you think

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sound good,charge plenty fuel is killing us.:cry:

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

I would consider moving up to at least a 3\4 if not a 1 ton. Even though toyota makes a heck of a product, it was not built to pull a skid. If you were a homeowner, i might suggest air-bags, but if your going to use it on a regular basis, you want that heavy suspension. JMO Good luck!!