Got one!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I think I just landed a job with one of my friends mom. She owns a bed and breakfast so they want the lawn to look good. She has someone mowing already but was almost ready to let them go. The previous crew charged $18 for mowing and trimming. I know the lawn is worth at least $15 because it would take me about 30 mins. to do (with 21"). I was thinking of making my bid $15 (mow-trim) to hook it and automaticaly knock the other guy out, but then everyone on here is telling me not to be cheap, (thanks everyone!) so I'm thinking $20 only because she was about to let them go anyway, why compete? Another $5 a week is $20 a month, adds up huh? Anyway, will probably have to fert. and aereate so couldn't be too bad. One more plus is that it is 2 houses down from current account. I'll let you know how it comes out over the course of a couple days.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with $20!<p>If the last crew was doing a bad job for $18 and you do a good job for $20 then no problem! Just make sure you do a good job!<p>P.S. Sometimes the jobs for people you know are the worst because they expect more for less among other things! Be careful!!!<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Scraper

3. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Scrapper is right. I never mixed do business with friends or family. Only cut like that we do is for our Paster and we do it for free, so can't really classify it as &quot;business.&quot; People expect more for less and I've found it often causes tension or bad feelings between the two parties.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats young man.<p>Lawn and Landscape magazine had an article about a 16 year old who pulled his lawn mower in a wagon with his bicycle. He is at $30,000 for the year. He now has his dad driving him to accounts, until he gets his license soon.<p>You might be interested Scag, you should be able to catch him, and be profiled in the mag. next!

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Toroguy. I hope to make it big. I'm still trying. Tough finding jobs but I'm still trying.

6. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

You'll make it no problem, I think most people like to see a young person working for themselves. Around here i tell people they are lucky to find a kid to do their lawn. The kids around here don't want to work with mommy and daddy giving them crazy allowances. Start knocking on doors, work on saturdays when everyones home so they see you , make up flyers to put near where you already have jobs. You'll be busier than you want in no time if you do a thorough job.