Got paid $1050 for a $175 Job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justanotherlawnguy, May 2, 2007.

1. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was trimming some palm trees the other day and when I finished the guys girlfriend came out to pay me and handed me a gangsta roll and said "here you go $175, I didnt count it though"

Normally I dont either, I just stick it in my pocket and go.

For some reason, I started to thumb through it to see if it was all ones or fives. I was curious to see why the knot was so fat. I started to count. 100, 200, 300, 400, 500.....up to $1050.

I said "there is like a grand here"

She was as surprised as me.

Oh well I walked away with $200 for being honest. I would have got a phone call 10 minutes down the road anyway asking for the money back anyway.

2. shayneyasinski

shayneyasinski LawnSite Member
    from canada

I run a pizza place and had a guy tip me on my debit machine $60 bucks and i said wait you hit $60 and that too much... he says if it goes through you can have it.
    nice tip .
    in your case you did the right thing as you most likely would have gotten a call .
    tempting....
    maybe they will hit it big in the lottery and give you a cool million for being honest???

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you were honest about it, and maybe she was just testing you.

It's amazing, I've actually heard people ask "should I return the extra?" when someone accidentally over-pays them. As if anyone with any kind of integrity would have to ask that.