1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got pulled over by the DEC!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Microbe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Blade-o-grass

Blade-o-grass LawnSite Member

I have actually had new employees taking a wizz by a tree in the front lawn of a mowing account ..... I had to tell he "we don't do dis in America"
  2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

DEC- Dept. of Enviromental Conservation....:usflag:
  3. nocutting

If its labled to repel or control or surpress its a pesicide and a Lic. is required.........You may not have to post a property or notify a neighbor, but you need to display your lic on your tank / truck as needed.:usflag:
  4. nocutting

There are 2 types of DE, the pool version is very high in silica, a respiratory irratant..........the 2nd is a feed grade used to thwart various worms in animals and is added to there food,also,used by organic gardners for slugs among other things.
  5. mindset063

mindset063 LawnSite Member

Wow.. I'm from IN too. Just looked into the classes @ Purdue. I went to Purdue for computer technology. Never thought that I would get into the lawn care business.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

de is not good stuff...

it can hurt bees (polination) and if it gets worked into the soil it will kill earthworms, erc..
  7. nocutting

I'd luv to hear the bee story, but a sprinkle around your hostas on the soil surface is all that is needed.........its been a while since last year, but I dont seem to remember my earthworms taking a stroll through any gardens I service [ DE or not?]:dancing:
  8. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

How can DE kill bee's? The last time I checked, bee's like the nectar not the stem or root ball correct? Nocutting, is there a name for the base of all plants? Ya know above the root ball the lower stem? Also, how long does DE stay active for, and what are some of the negative effects it has on "other," soil life, if any at all? Does it just break down and become a part of the soil? Is it safe to dig in by hand, say if you need to move a hosta, or plant around the area you treated?
  9. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

And as far as the "Department of Environmental control," comment......... DOH!! :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :waving: