Got pulled over today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was stopped at a red light when a guy pulled up next to me and flags me to follow him. We turn on the next street and he sees that I mow yards and asks if I could take a look at it because he said it looked like crap. Get to his house and he goes on to say that when he bought it, the realator didn't water it etc. He basically had weeds and 80% of it was bare spots. He asks for my opinion about revitalizing it and I tell him that his best bet would be to renovate it. He wasn't happy with the answer then asks how much I would charge to just mow it for the summer since he was going to California for the summer since he was in the military. I tell him $30.00 and he gets all twiterpated and says that there isn't much grass and that he is military and doesn't have much money. First of all, he lives in a $100,000 house and complains that my prices are too high. Second of all, who the heck stops the guy pulling the trailer with a lawnmower over inquiring about installing a new yard. That's like me stopping the ambulance because my house is on fire.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think helping a military family is a good thing.

But a military person playing the military card to get a discount is a real loser. IMO

To all the service men and women that place their life on the line so that we can have freedom....I want to thank you with all my heart.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

First of all unless you are in mexico or some third world country a 100000 dollar house is not much. I can understand if it were a 400000 dollar house but not a 100. Just recently getting out of the military myself, I can relate to the not having any money thing. Some one who does a good job and advances fast in 6 years is only bringing home around 2 grand a month supporting themselves and a family. Ya the spouse can work but when you are only at any one location for 3 years or less there tends to be no good jobs for people just alot of min. wage jobs. If you don't want to do it I am sure there is some one out there that will. JMO

4. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

there is a difference in what state your in, new york a $100,000 house is most likely a crack house, in new mexico you can have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath mansion (would be a 4-500,000 house by me)

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yes nice house but not a house someone with a lot of money owns. and a mansion it is NOT.

6. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I had no intention of bashing a military guy being that my twin brother is serving our country in Iraq as I speak. The house is in a fairly nice neighborhood which indicates that the family is middle class here. Nevertheless, the guy is playing the military sob story of not having much income. Either way I felt it was an insult due to the fact that if I were to ask for a service I would not tell the plumber that he is charging to much. I would pay the bill without arguing. Also, I was essentially stopped by the guy in regards to renovating his lawn. Yes, I could have done it. No, that is not my specialty.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Stewart

Stewart LawnSite Member

I am active duty AF, not that I am looking for a pat on the back. Guys like that give us all a bad name!!!!! It is one thing to ask a buisness if they have a military discount but to play the I'm a poor militery guy that soesn't make much money makes me angry. If you are that straped for cash why did you buy the house and not live on base?????? He needs to grow up and accept responsability for his own actions.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for all the info and not getting upset when some of us non pros ask questions about how to keep our yards looking sharp!!!

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member