Got Rocks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Oct 26, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I've been pm'd about setting rock and I thought I would throw out my mental list that I go through when I look at a job. When it is all said and done, I just figure my time and materials and what it will take........but that takes time to get to that point, so here is my list of mental gymnastics: do I have to wait for payment?, is there a rock unloading risk?,are there low trees and wires?,do I need fabric behind wall or drainage system?,do I have to move the rocks more than once?,is there a rolling rock risk?,engineering needed?, do I have to move utilities?,do I have to place from above or below?,are there window wells at risk?,do I need concrete protection?,difficult access?,do I have to export fill or import?,extra grading?,is it outside my job area?,safe place to dump truck load of rock?,clean road after project?,steeper than 1:1?, is it formal or informal style? Some guys use a sq.ft. price per load, but after you have been in the game awhile, you will find that is a nice place to start thinking, but if you do it just by sq.ft, you will get killed. Just some passing thoughts.........
  2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Man!!!!! I just got a headache from reading all that info.:dizzy: Glad i dont have to work with rocks.All have to do is play in the mud!:dancing:

Lots of things to think about ,its the unknown that kills you.So try to cover your rear as much as you can.Good luck.:usflag:
  3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no doubt allot of things to think about. This is some what simular to the weed out customer post I had a while back. A person really has to lay a plan out before he ever says he will take the job or give a price.