Got Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, Apr 23, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

DOES ANYONE OWNS SCAG 36" W/B BELT DRIVE?
    WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIANCE WITH IT?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

nope but i got a 48 wb / belt drive

3. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

well, what is your experience with 48" scag?

4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I got a 48" Scag belt drive with 17hp Kawi. Great machine. It cuts great and stripes great with stock blades and no roller.

However, if you can go hydro definitely do so. It is better in the long run. I'm sure you can find 100 posts on hydro vs. belt and the pros and cons of each.

5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I've got a 36" belt drive Scag. I love it, cuz many of my properties have fences and stuff to maneuver around. I'll be getting a 52" later this year or early next year, but not because I don't love the 36. I just also have some larger properties that it would be nice to move through a little faster.

6. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

THANKS GUYS. I NEEDED SOME CONFIRMATION BEFORE I GO BUY ONE.

7. Bertram182

Bertram182 LawnSite Member

Whats better about a bigger mower deck, is that when you come to a corner of a fence and you go to trun, with the 36' deck, you will smash your hand during the turn, with the bigger deck, taking a bigger portion of grass out, you should be able to make the turn and not worry about mashing your hand. It is tough getting a bigger mower in some backyards with a fence, but there are ways to get them back there.

8. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I will agree with Bertram here. I have banged my hands on numerous occasions. It hurts, but after a few times you get to know what you can handle quickly and where to slow down a little.:cry:

9. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

"It is tough getting a bigger mower in some backyards with a fence, but there are ways to get them back there."

What ways? Air Crane? Might need to find a way, one day. What ways work good?
    (might be something I have never thought of before, and will save the day)

10. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

I've had SCAG's for years, and feel they are good mowers, I purchased a 36 in Belt drive W/B about a month ago, but took it back, was not pleased.....prefer the hydraulic.....