1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got screwed on craigslist...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by devnuts, Jul 23, 2008.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

Went to buy a new mower on craigslist....Long story short...I paid money and never received the mower...out $2300!! The post was bogus and the payment method was bogus. I thought it was legit as the same pics were posted here on lawnsite a year ago. (thought the new owner wanted to sell it). Check out the post on lawnsite.

This same post was on craigslist and I fell for it as I rushed the purchase and needed a new mower. Dont be an idiot like me...and if anyone knows this zz4guy I would like to talk with him.
  2. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Was it copied and pasted pictures or definately the same guy? And why didnt you just go pick it up. I mean craigslist is mostly for near by things for sale.
  3. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm... as an avid craigslist "user" (mostly selling) I would venture a guess that a good percentage of the ads there are bogus. I'm talking 50percent...You gotta be real careful out there. Staying "local" and asking for ID and address confirmation weeds out the scammers pretty quickly. They usually do not respond to those questions. Sorry for your bad luck but "they're out there"
  4. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

well a price like $2300 on that mower should have thrown a red flag, remember if its too good to be true, its too good to be true.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, erm...

What did you do, go over to the guy's place, he said it was around back he'd be with you in just a minute so you give him the money, he goes around back and you never seen him again or what?

I had a similar problem selling a car this way, but I'm not dumb enough to let
    just anyone come around and 'see' the car if you get my drift.
    My attitude is you can see it sitting right there, see?
    But to take it with you, you gotta hand me the money.

Wow how surprising that cut most of that out,
    and it did use to astound me how many comedians
    were on the Internet... But then compared to a
    real world scenario it's just another way of getting
    something for nothing, happens all the time.

And yeah, I'd have to agree, at least half are like that,
    but that's everywhere, they all want something for nothing.
  6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

How did you pay?
  7. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

That really sucks. Last week I bought a Velky from a guy and we arranged for a meeting at a central location. He drives up (right on time) and the first thing out of his mouth is "Thank God you are real and here". Neither one of us told each other that we were LCO's. It was refreshing to see him drive up in his company truck and me in mine. He said he had had a similar situation on a blower a couple of weeks before.
    Be careful and as the previous posts suggest, use some discernment and common sense when dealing with folks on line. CL is great but it can be dangerous and costly.
  8. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Man, you NEVER send money or money order to an ad on Craigslist!!! There are warnings all over that site about that. If you can't go there, look at what you are buying, check and see if there is actually a motor in the thing and load it on your trailer before you hand over the money, FORGET IT!
    Even then I would be looking over my shoulder. And if the transaction goes succesfully, It's probably stolen.
    If you actually meet the person and look at the merchandise I think you could sense if it was legit or not in a couple of minutes talking to them.
    By the way, I'm actually a Nigerian prince with 20 million dollars in an escrow account that I can't touch. If you would just send me your bank account information so I can withdraw my funds I'll transfer all the money to you and all I ask in return is a mere 40%!!!:rolleyes:
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

20 million? Where do I send my personal info? LOL
  10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

according to zz that mower was sold in april on e bay