Got Screwed....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Signature Landscaping1, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I got screwed on dethatching. I had to rent one since mine broke. $46 for the rental. I quoted my customer $150. I get there yesterday whole thing takes me bout three hrs. I get a check in the box today $75, with a note- "Price was way to steep, this is more reasonable", I was like whaaaaaaaaat!.
  2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why i almost always have clients sign a service agreement with us before work begins.

That way you could write a note back .... "Well its about to get alot steeper with the court date closing in"
  3. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

oooo, that would of been a good idea
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

yup. thats my way of doing it.
  5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Did you cash the check? If not, take it to there house and tell them it is unacceptable.
  6. hawklandscaping

hawklandscaping LawnSite Member

Luckily the note doesn't claim what you finally charged was different from what you quoted. Afterall, if the final charge was, I would think that would be the first complaint a customer would mention (and a judge would think the same.) Since the customer did not say anything to this affect then he can't claim later in court that you quoted a different price.

Of course, if he tries to claim that he didn't know what amount you would charge then he still has to pay the bill in full since it would be his fault for agreeing to a service before knowing what the charge would be.

I would check the law in your state. Any some states you can deposit the $75 check and write on the memo line "under protest" or some words to that effect. This allows you to at least have $75 in your pocket while trying to get the rest through court. However, in many states (even if you write "in protest" on the memo line), by cashing the check you are assuming payment in full.
  7. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Was this job "verbal" ? If there is no customer signature then your SOL. Take what you can and run, on the other hand you can mail back his check and send a invoice demanding payment in full by a due date, if he does not make the payment then get a collection agency on his case.

Always get a signature before doing any work, at least you have that to lean on. If a customer is not willing to sign any paperwork then just move on.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You just go over there and tell them hey..$75.00 is $25.00 short on the labor l..AND they also owe you for the rental and pick-up and delivery of the equipment..Another $50.00..because you verbally came to an agreement on the $150.00 price...or did you?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

bottom line go collect your money.
  10. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

I went to his house 3 days before, quoted the job $150. Dethatcher broke a day before i started, so i had to go through a whole mess to rent one, had to pick it up before school, then drop it off before school the next day...... i fisnish the job. go home print up a bill. i drive up and pop it in their box. Next day i come home to a suprise!!!!