1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got Shafted on 2 Leaf Jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagguy, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I met with 2 of my customers to do leaf jobs. I explained to them that due to my work load I wouldn't be able to take care of them until today. Both customers (who live next door to each other) said no problem and that would be allright with them. So today I roll up on the job and see that both yards had been cleared and bags from those jobs were on the curb. Neither customer was home so I haven't had the opportunity to speak with them. I have had these customers for approx 5 months. What would you do in a case like this.
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

what can you do...... guess go to the next job. Did you have a signed contract for the work?

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Very nicely call them tonight and let them know exactly what you just told us here. If they are sorry for what they did to you, it may come back to your advantage one day. If they don't "give a crap", it will be your own fault if you ever do business with them again.

Either way, if you don't talk with them about it, they got one over on you. Once again, be nice, but don't just take this lying down.:)
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

People won't wait for anything in this town....if you don't answer the phone they move on. McCoys says we have 1000 lawnbusinesses in central Texas area.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you have two former clients to me.

and in the future, even with existing clients, all non-contracted work gets a signed contract and a non-refundable 40% deposit to hold the space in the schedule.

If they give you 40% down (even 20%) that kind of crap won't happen.
    Sure you will get less jobs, but actually getting to bill them will run really close to 100% and the losers who don't want to come up with deposit money also won't want to come up with finished product money.
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure that we have 1000 LCO's in central Texas, however that's not the point in my opinion. A phone call or an email would have been nice a day or so ahead of time. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. My feeling is when spring comes around I may tell them to get someone else.
  7. clmllc

clmllc LawnSite Member

The deposit idea is good. We have been staying busy with leaf jobs and we are booke about 2 weeks out right now. We have only encountered 1 customer having the job already done when we arrived. Some people just don't want to wait and that is understandable. I do think that when you have to schedule a job a few days out that gives the customer time to think about that $600-$700 quote you gave them and they get out there themselves with a rake and some bags!
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Don't take it personally. I have had some of my good customers "do it themselves" because I could not fit them in when they wanted, or they wanted to save money, so what? I understood, and maybe I could have made special arrangements (I will push back some jobs to take care of my best customers on occassion). But, they are still good customers. Now if they hired another company, well, that's a different story....
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, did you get some sort of a signed agreement, at least?
  10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I tell people that if they think there is to many leaves on the lawn to give me a call. I'll try to adjust my schedule to fit them in. So what if a few others get pushed back. You should know who will wait and who needs it done yesterday. LCO's really need to have some sort of relationship with 90% of there customers. The other 10% you probably see twice a year and thats fine with them. I do have to mention that your big mistake was telling these customers you were to busy. Dont ever tell them your to busy. You have to be able to think on you toes and BS them with a "time frame" that may be sooner than you would like. If there asking then they want it soon. A quick phone call directly to the point saying you saw they cleaned up there yards already and you sorry you couldn't get there sooner. And tell them that if they need anything else from you this year to give you a call and you can do it for them. All you can do is hope they sign the renewal in the spring. Good luck with them.