"got slugs in my yard"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 25, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

A customer sent us an email today:

"I have noticed that we have quite a few slugs present in the yard and was wondering if you have any service available that might help control them. Please let me know." (West Des Moines, IA)

I never heard of this type of request before. Any comments? Thanks.

p.s. Humorous replies are most welcome. (BTW Rodney says none of his guys are working in that area) :laugh:

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

YOU never got this request before? We get it 2-3 times a year.

I tell them just to put out a bowl of beer on Friday night. They drink but get tipsy and fall in......cant get back out.

Dont know if it actually works, but it is fun watching their face.

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey, no fair poking fun at Rodney! :)

4. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

salt does a great job on killing the slugs..lol..lol.. just broadcast salt all over the yard. lol I'm sure that will make the yard look great too..lol.lol

5. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

I noticed I have some this year as well in my yard. Never seen them before in the yards.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Drink the beer. Go with Ortho snail and slug bait (containing sevin).

7. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Funny, I do nothing and all is fine.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they only hurt certain landscape plants such as hosta, no lawn damages so unless they are causing damage to landscape i would decline doing anything , but tha is me

9. KDLAWN

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

do slugs eat on lambs ear...(the plant)

10. atouchofnature

atouchofnature LawnSite Member

The beer definitely works, and is by far the best, and least toxic method I have ever tried. Have them place saucers of beer scattered around the landscaped areas, one saucer every 15 feet or so. Go out the next morning and clean up the dead slugs. Do this every night until you start finding empty saucers.

The gas in beer that makes you burp will rupture the slugs internally, since they don't have the ability to burp. The barley & yeast attract them to it.