Got some Meg-Mo's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I recieved my meg-mo blades this past Friday and put them on for this weeks servicing.

Gravely PM260. 3 sets one for each spindle.
    I notice a slight lag when I engage the blades (but I engage at 3/4 throttle) and a clunk noise as the blades straighten out.
    The grass is rather thin right now, no rain in 2 weeks and plenty of sun.

On the few lawns that are lush, the grass is coming out in much finer particles then with my hi lift or standard blades.
    There is much less drag then with when I ran doubles and the particles are finer as well.

Cut in morning dew on a lush yard. No noticable accumulation under the deck.

Cut on a yard that had just been irrigated. No noticable accumulation under the deck.

On my toro 21" I bought a set as well.

runs like it has more power compared to the one that I did not mount the meg-mo on. I should say in lush grass it takes a bit more to bog. The grass is finer particles then the standard mulch blade.

On both mowers I was able to get double the interval before needing to resharpen, but it does take a bit longer to sharpen. I use a bench vise and an angle grinder with an overlap sandpaper disk, so getting the blades clamped down while on the wheel is a little more time consuming.

My opinion so far, great investment.

2. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Thought about meg mo system, just didn't find anyone using them in St. Augustine. As the season wears on please give feedback, so far from what you wrote it looks good.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Wait Until You Get them in Lush Wet Turf....Clump City...Not to Mention Pack Deck City...You Kids in Florida Don't Have Challenging Conditions in the Spring so They may be Fine Down There.

I use Them eXclusively for Clean-ups...Great Vacuum for Debris.....No Grass Touches My Megs.

megmo.JPG

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What size did you order for your Toro 21? How much cleareance is there between the edge of the blade and deck. I'll bet they would mulch good on a 21 if you grind the aggresive sails down a little so there is less lift? Has anybody used these blades in a bonefide mulch lit?

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I used them in Iowa year round. Right now I am cutting very wet and thick grass and they do great. Some clumping, but very little and still less than the stock blades or gators. The striping is much more defined also. Hit a cast iron water chutoff last fall and all it did was fold the blade back and put the smallest ding in the edge.

I'm actually ordering a second set in the morning for quicker turn around time.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Fareway,

Don't you mean Florianada. Read the post. I have used them in wet conditions.

7. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

those meg-mos look interesting, but they definately look like a bit much. almost like an accident waiting to happen. i have confidence that the 3 1 piece blades on my mower will stay balanced and in one piece, but those...dang 4 pieces each....enjoy!

8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Just run double blades. If double blades take to much sack out of your power, then make sure the top set of blades are an old beat up pare. The wing tips on old blades are worn out, so theres not as much lift or drag.

9. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Best investment in blades I could have made. Along with the ACS. Chute open you can hardly even see anything coming out the deck thats how well it shreds the grass. Chute closed they mulch like nobodies business. It has been very wet and no major clumping other than 9" tall grass. The other day a downpour moved in and I had a little left to do in a yard, they kept on cutting. Most of these have grown in 7 days like they are 14 day lawns. Thay have definitly save me time. I mow some rather undesireable apartments that kids throw rocks and trash in yard buried under the grass, before blades would end up trashed, not any more. I now sharpen the blades every day because I want to not because I have to!

10. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Some pics of lawns with meg-mo blades and ACS. No stripe kit on mower!

lawns 020.jpg

lawns 032.jpg

lawns 024.jpg