Got some new toys!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, Jun 1, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Sorry, have to post, I'm so excited :)

Just got back from town, drove the new truck (Nissan metric ton dually) with its new box (4x4s and plywood deck, 4x4s 2x4s and ply for the sides, need to paint it still) To pick up my new toy...

2001 Exmark Metro Hydrostat 36", with a kawasaki engine, ECS (need to get used to that, its driving me nuts so far...) Its used, 220 hours on it... But seems to be in good shape

I think I got a good deal on it, the wifes kicking me for buying it (no real need for it at the moment, but there's a dozen or so jobs I CAN use it on if I choose)

The truck impressed the hell out of me on the trip, beautiful ride, tows EXCELENTLY, turns on a dime... And got SUPERB gas mileage (hope I can get close to the same in town with it).

First thing I did when I got home was to mow our yard with the Exmark, Nice cut! Even with the 'came with it' dull beat to h-e-double hockey sticks, blades that were on it... Other than tossing myself into the garden (darn ECS) and a slight adventure getting up the curb (darn ECS, can't pop the front end up as easy) It was a blast! Still prefer my old Ransome, so far! Its probably just because I'm not used to the controls!

Well, gotta run! I think I have a date with a vacant lot a few blocks away :) Need to get more practice before I'll take it on a customers lawn!

Andrew

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Sounds great! If I remember correctly, you used to use push mowers on yards?? If so, you should see quicker times on more open areas. Also you now can stripe with the big boys! Or do you even stripe up north? Post some pics of your new toys.
    Eric

3. NewbieOwner

from Alberta

Pics will come, Digital camera is at some HP facility god only knows where being repaired... I assume I'll get it back eventually (10 weeks and counting now)

I'm still going to be push mowing 80%+ of my properties... Most are pretty darn small, easier, and cheaper to just use the push mowers... But I've got a few places now that the new toy will allow me to take on an extra customer or two... And it opens up some future job opportunities, that I wouldn't touch without it.

Saw a 42" Metro HP at the exmark dealer (stopped in for a few spare parts) That might be my next toy (its that or a Walker GHS)

We do stripe up here, get great stripes from a 21" the exmark didn't make quite as nice stripes on my lawn... Probably the blades, lawns are mostly Kentucky blue, so stripings EASY...

Andrew

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are you using push type mowers or self propelled 21" mowers? I haven't used push type ones much but got a job that would require one in the front ( too small for larger mower anyhow) and at the same time got a self propelled one, an impulse buy from the paper, and let me tell you I wouldn't trade it for 3 brand new push type ones. It's a 1982 Toro with a rear bagger and being self propelled you have alot less fatigue and your lines are perfectly straight. The bagger is great too. It's a big one, 2.5 bushel and holds a lot. The lawn looks so much better than the next door neighbor's who uses a push type one and discharges. It is all swervy and grass laying everwhere even with a one week growth. This thing bags some tall stuff too. It's great. I highly recommend a rear bagging self propelled mower. Doesn't take any longer to bag really but about 10 seconds to empty the bag. With grass growing like it has been it looks pathetic (like the neighbors) if you discharge or mulch it. I don't even charge extra for this because this mower doesn't have a discharge chute. It bags and you can mulch leaves or light dry grass with it but mainly bags.
    Definately get one if you use a 21" mower much at all. Save your back! You will still walk the same distance, so you'll get all that excercise still. You'll just be able to go longer easier and still have your back 10 years from now!
    Good luck,
    Eric

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I hate bagging. I only bag with my Proline and that's only on 2 jobs and I don't have to empty it that much. It's a PITA to bag on small resi because you end up having to empty 2-3 times and you gotta walk to the garbage can, dump it, walk back, put it back on there. 1 cycle 2 minutes x 3 cycles = 6 minutes plus cleanup of any spilled grass if you miss the can. Plus you gotta get rid of the grass and mulching is better for the grass anyway.
    Newbie-How much did you pay for that 36"? Sounds like a great mower! I wish I had one! Looking for one now because I'm getting BUSY. I want to get done faster and the 21" is doing okay, but it's just not fast enough. I hope you have fun with the new toy and let newer ones come as well! New toys are great! I'm loving the new trimmer that I bought last week. Well, have fun and good luck!

6. NewbieOwner

from Alberta

Well, at the moment I'm running Push style 21s... I've been looking long and hard at the John Deere self propelled. But the MTDs are being good to me at the moment, so I'll just keep using them for now.

Scag48: until last week I'd have no problem saying what I've paid. But I've recently discovered I've got at least 2 competitors who read this board (I know one of them associates with the 'big dogs' in town, so there's probably 3) And both of them, I know have been chasing some of my accounts (none have been lost) So I'd rather not say... (they don't need to know my overhead) But lets say it was a good chunk less than what the dealer wanted for a new one.

Andrew

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Congrats on the new mower and truck! I'm glad things are going your way. I bought a Exmark 36" hydro (Turf Tracer HP-15 hp Kawasaki) a couple of weeks ago...with ECS. Very 'touchy' and nimble aren't they? I understand your "trip to the garden" episode..hahaha. ECS takes a little practice but once you get in sync with it you will find that "popping wheelies" to do curbs and ect is very easy. Spend a few hours in your yard experimenting and you'll be blasting through those lawns in record time.

Did you get a velky/sulky doodad to stand on? I got Jungle Wheels (2 wheeled gizmo) and they are a blast...except for learning not to 'jacknife' while backing up. That's a whole nuther learning experience. :D I went from a 42" riding tractor to a 60" Lazer Z ...and now I'm learning to do the walkbehind thing (call me bassackwards).

Good job on chosing the Exmark! Have fun! :)

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

congrats newbie. aint it great to be a kid again.:) oh . well u probably not old enough to know what im talkin about
    but new toys sure are fun huh.