Got stoped today by the DOT cops :(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Sep 23, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

found out allot I did not know and got a nice ticket also. If you are pulling a trailer with your truck and you think you mite be over 3 ton look into the DOT laws in your state will save you from what I went through today :mad: . DOT cop was pretty cool though he could tell I didn't have a clue that I was not legal. Will be fixing the errors of my ways first thing in the morning.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what all did they find out?
  3. HarryD

over half the LCO in my town do not have a US DOT # on there truck. I see a few with one and I bet they had a visit with the DOT cops ;)
  4. HarryD

first that I was over weight my truck is only licensed for 3 ton my trailer for 1 ton . I have trailer brakes on one axle needs to be on both, no break away kit. no fire extinguisher, no road hazard triangles, and one bad tire. he could have shut me down and had me towed but he let me drive it home. Like I said he was pretty cool about it
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I got stopped ONCE by a cop. I only pull a single axle trailer, less than a ton total. But the cop told me I had to have a chaufer's license, permanent signage, a fire extinguisher and triangle markers. Then he let me go. Mostly the cops ignore me. Knock on wood.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I am fairly conversant with DOT regulations with regards to Commercial Driver's Licensing. I hold all available endorsements except passenger. I have never heard of a Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement (DOT cop) enforcing below weights limits. Current CDL rules are federally mandated, a CDL license is necessary if you are 26,001 lbs and over. Some states interpret this to mean carrying weight of vehicle plus trailer. NJ is one for instance, driving a Ford super duty dump truck, gross weight loaded (even though I wasn't) would go around 18K lbs. As the truck was rigged to haul a trailer (even though I didn't have one on at the time) and could tow over 8K lbs, now I have to have a CDL as combined weight exceeds 26,001 lbs.
    I have never heard of needing a special license for towing or carrying over 3 tons, unless it puts you over the 26,001 weight limit. Now, with regards to mechanical problems with the vehicle or trailer (bad tire, broken light, exc) I can see a DOT cop stopping you. Maybe the laws have changed? I will do some checking.
  7. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

He was probably talking about license plates. Here we have to have plates to match the load and or load capacity of the truck.Yes every one of us is suppose to to have a D.O.T. number also. The number is not a big deal you just go to the D.O.T. web site and give your info and the entire thing is free.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Here in WA, you are required to have a CDL if you are operating a vehicle that has air brakes, I.E. dump truck, whatever. If you are driving a large semi with a 40 ft. flatbed trailer for farm purposes, like many people do around here, no matter what size or weight of the truck, you are allowed to drive the vehicle permit free.
  9. HarryD

They did away with the ton rating on our plates a few years back. they just look at your registration to see what you are rated at. The reason he said he pulled me over was I did not have the US DOT # posted on my truck. Ill have one now :rolleyes:.

The local city cops pretty much ignore all of us also but this was a state patrol dot cop on the outskirts of town. I don't usually go that way but was in a hurry to go get my kid from day care and wanted to miss all the stop lights in town :(
  10. I got pulled over once by DOT. I was driving my Dodge Cummins dualie with a 20' tandem axel goose neck trailer. (empty)
    He said he was just checking if I was under his jurisdiction. He read all the manufacturers weight plates on the truck and trailer and let me go.
    I wouldn't leave the state with this set up without checking the other state's laws though. Would you believe in Kentucky you have to pull into the weigh scales if you have a company name on the side of your truck?
    I swear I think they make some of these rules up on the spur of the moment.