Got stuck on a roof today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Dec 22, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the scene. Pull up to a gutter cleaning job today. Wind is blowing pretty hard. Get ladder out, get up on roof and begin cleaning out gutters on the other side of the house. All of a sudden, I hear a loud crashing noise. Discovered that the wind has blown my ladder to the ground.

Lessons to be learned.

1. Don't clean gutters in the wind.
    2. If you must clean gutters in the wind, either pull ladder up onto roof with you, or make sure you have your cell phone with you.

2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha! Never had that happen before. How did you get down?

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

gutter cleaning for us is one of those tasks we try to do in pairs, for safety, like chainsaw work.

one or two stories?

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I never offer cleaning gutters. I just tell them insurance wont let me off the ground and on their roof. I think its too risky, but thats just me.

Glad you got down. Did you just go down the chimney like.......oh you know who? :D

5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbour got stranded on his roof several years ago, some kids came by and took the ladder down on him. If I remember correctly he was up ther for over an hour.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

That was too funny! lol lmao

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I'll tell ya...Kids these days:rolleyes:

8. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

You know the same thing happened to Bob the Builder... if you don't know who Bob the Builder is then chances are you don't have kids. Let me further say that I can't stand that program.

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a pry bar that has a U shape at one end. Its used for prying out nails. I hammer it into the ground so the U goes over the last rung at the bottom. It prevents kick out and only takes a minute to do. I aso tie a rope around the chimney to hold onto for safety. It makes the customer feel safer about you also.

10. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

Been there--done that; but only once. I got the attention of some construction workers a half block away and they reset my ladder.