1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got the funniest call about a referral!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Jul 14, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Lady calls me and tells me that her neighbor (a great client of mine) has been calling her everyday about using me for her lawn maintenance. She asked me what did I do that was so special that this lady was recommending me so much. She was nice to me just seemed aggravated at her neighbors calls. She asked me to come quote and signed on the spot.

I didn't tell her that I had offered one free cut for all current clients if the referred someone to me who signed up for weekly cutting. My client had called this lady multiple times daily for a week just to get a $30.00 free cut, and this is not a poor lady either.

I think this new lady was just relieved to not get the calls every few hours. Just goes to show how bored or maybe just cheap little old ladies can be.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think some people just get all excited over the notion of a freebie, especially if they lived through the Great Depression.

Think about the number of times in the grocery check-out you've seen a little old woman or man pulling out umpteen coupons, some for 20 cents off some item. Some of that crap will be in the pantry when their kids come to clear out the house after the funeral.

On the other hand, maybe you ought to give that lady a list of numbers and see how many clients she can drum up for you. Each client is a free cut, right? She sounds like a telephone sales pro in the making!