Got the job, but wrong house.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sandgropher, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I did a job for a friend at church early in the summer. Was supposed to mow his mother-in-law's house on hickory street , but instead mowed the one on hickory place. Oh well the guy that was living there showed up and gave me what i would have charged anyway cuz he was moving out that day and now he didn't have to mow.

On a greater scale there's a hotel in Branson Missouri that the front faces a rock cliff because i understand that the guys who poured the foundation set the forms backwards. Rather than tear it all out the just built it facing the cliff.

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

screw that, i wouldn't have sent them anything. you already cut their lawn for free. if anything, they should've sent you a check for the cut.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I do not agree with that mentality. The way I run my business says everything about who I am and what I'm about. And I believe that was the proper thing to do.

If I was a homeowner, and came home to someone cutting on my property without my permission, I'd be pissed.

Sure, they got a service for free. But it was not a service they asked for.

And I'd never expect someone to pay for a cut if I did it by mistake.

What if(though unlikely) the homeowners happen to own some additional properties? Could it be that they would appreciate my honesty, and mabye even consider calling me next spring? Unlikely yes, but you never know who you're dealing with, and you never know who that person may know.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Agree with this principle too. You need to apologize to people, even if you did them a "favor".

The guy might have been looking forward to mowing his grass after a long day at the office.

Technically, you ARE trespassing, so again, an apology is in order.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I realise this may be a dead thread but I want to add anyway

The stupid thing I did awhile ago was mowed 1/2 a lawn without turning the blades on, had to do it all over again

6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

And again...and again...and again....

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

My brother arrives earlier than me to start preping the mulch beds and installing mulch rings around the front trees. I explained were the house was. I show up 1/2hr later and find him at the wrong house (my fault I said last one on right it was 2ns to last).

Rang doorbell of house and apologized for inconvenience. We installed mulch rings and mulch around three trees b/c of the oops.

Oh well, she laughed and thanked us for the new look.

8. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

About three years ago I had a few new guys. I was in the back talking to a customer, my foreman was talking to the neighbor and our guys were out cutting. We were in a large development which we had alot of house cluttered together. They did an extra 5 houses that werent on our route that day.... Point of story. Keep an extra eye on your new guys....

9. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Man thats enough to make your heart skip beats.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Mine did, many years ago...

Different situation, I had driven my mom's car to the mall to get something.
    When I came out, I found the car, unlocked it, got in, and got ready to drive.
    Well, the key fit the ignition, but it wouldn't turn the tumbler...
    I was like hmmm, it unlocked the door, so it's the right key...?

Then I'm looking around and there were some candy wrappers on the dashboard, and I'm thinking, I thought my mom's car was spotless...
    So I get out to look at the license plates, and right then I saw my mom's car about 3 spaces further down (yup, exact same make, model, year and color).

I got back in the wrong car, retrieved the keys from the ignition and locked and closed the door, leaving it just as I had found it, and went on to get in the correct car.

I'm just glad the owners of the wrong car didn't happen to show up about that time, thou.
    I'm sure the truth would've eventually come through, but ...
    lol