Got the rbg 1/2 HP, what do i need to know before i grind away?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I recieved my RBG-2 grinder in the mail today, it seems like it might be more difficult that i expected. So i just wanted to get some ideas before i start grinding away tomorrow morning. What is the typical way to use this thing?? How do i adjust the correct angle? Do i use generious pressure? Do I only go one way or what?? any help would be nice, thanks alot

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a new blade handy take it and adjust the height so that the wheel comes as close as possible to the angle that your new blade has. Do this with the motor off. After you've got the height set you can start the motor and gently slide the blade in and out against the stone until you see some progress. Don't let the blade get too hot because if it turns blue you've lost it's temper and it won't stay sharp for very long. Try to remove the same amount of steel from each end of your blade so as not to make it imbalanced. A Mag-Na-Matic balancer should be your next investment in equipment. Practice makes perfect, start with old blades first, then graduate once you've got the hang of it to doing your newer blades. Good luck.

3. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I hope you got the diamond dresser. My stone was out of round. It will take longer to sharpen a blade when the wheel is not grinding on all the surface.

Just adjust the grinder so that the wheel hits about in the middle of the bevel on a new blade. (I set mine just a bit toward the edge myself) When you start off you will want to get all of the blades at the same angle, this will take a while the first time a different blade is ground. After all of your blades have the same angle it won't take near as long.

I soak my blades in a 5 gal. bucket of water and clean them with a wire brush. After they are clean, I hit the back with a file to knock off the burs. :)

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Take the grinding wheel off and throw it away and go buy a softer/finer grit wheel. the stock wheel on the rbg's heat something terrible, are extremly loud, and do a poor job of grinding. I replaced my wheel and it is SO much better. Hardly any heat and talk about razor sharp. Also a softer finer wheel will grind faster than that rock they have on there.

Of course for now the one you have will work.:D Just my thought on it.

5. lawnmowerman29

lawnmowerman29 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

i used a 1/2 hp lesco grinder and hated it, it was very loud and took forever to sharpen a blade. Stopped using it and now i use a 7" dewalt grinder and a 4 1/2 grinder, much faster.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a lesco (aka neary)grinder also and it consumes time looking for a better wheel

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Orkin,

First off, make sure your wheel is spinning the "proper" way. If you are sharpening standard RH discharge deck blades, the grinder must spin clockwise. Too many grinders' instructions aren't clear on this, and the wrong direction will just suck the blade in.

New blades have a flat machined/milled edge. Your grinder is going to put a "hollow" grind. Kinda crescent shaped edge. You want to start by adjusting the wheel till it hits the center of the flat edge, or just a bit closer to the bottom. A new blade takes quite a while to sharpen the first time. After you get ALL your blades hollow grinded into shape, it will not take long at all to sharpen after that.

As for a diamond dresser. They are almost mandatory. Anytime a grinder is producing sparks, molten steel will inbed itself into the wheel valleys making the stone smooth and almost un-useable. By taking off a minute amount of the stone, you are "freshening" up the stone and giving it more "bite".

Good Luck

P.S. Your probably already wishing you had a more powerfull motor on it,....right!

8. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I really dont think you will like it lol lol maybe you should box it up and send it too me. I will be more than glad to pay shipping.

9. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hi, this is just a note.

A proper grinder should not need dressing, the grinding wheel, and speed of that wheel should be properly matched to the type of steel you are sharpening.

With any of our sharpeners you do not need dressing tools, and will not burn the blade. Also expect to sharpen a damaged blade in 60 seconds, well maintained blades in under 30 seconds.

Also, note a good grinder should not make excessive noise, at expos, Magna-Matic is allowed to demonstrate indoors, while RBG and others must be outside to demo their products.

If you have any questions about our products or blade maintenance in general i would be happy to help. Just drop a post in our fourm.

In case you are thinking that we are alot more expensive than RBG or LESCO, take a second peek, after all the optional dressers, grit guards, etc you will be near the same or more than our machines, but ours will out perform others everytime. Just ask other lawnsite members with Magna-Matic equipment.

http://www.magna-matic.com

10. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Orkin....

Honestly, if I were you, I would box that RGB right back up and return it for a magna matic. I've used an RGB for quite a few yrs and now have a mag9000, and it is worth the extra few dollars.