Got the Turf Tiger today......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Mar 6, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well it was a little confusing but I went and checked on the Turf Tiger my dealer was pushing again. It has the 61" Velocity deck so it must be an 06 and he assures me it is. It's odd that it has the 31 hp Briggs since it is not listed in the 06 brochures but anyway the velocity deck was the most important thing for me. $8,500 and tax I don't see how I could go very wrong with this purchase even though I haven't cut grass I have no doubts from the reports I will have no trouble with the velocity deck. I drove it in a very rough field and it drove and handled fine. I seem to be getting used to the dampening or maybe this one has a bit less than others I've tested. I called Scag dealers within 100 miles and they said they couldn't touch the price (in fact they said I better jump on it) so I took a chance. It has solid ROP so that will have to go but other than that I'm liking it so far. Wish me luck, even though from Scags reputation I don't think luck will be a problem. We'll see. Thanks for the advice guys and Audrey!

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Good deal itz about grass cutting time.

3. tacoma200

Thanks, Mow Pro. Call equipment rental in Lex today and they told me I better jump on it at that price. Thats kind of unusual from another dealer but at least he was honest.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's say a 2007 tiger list for $11,999,mowers have really went thru the roof in the past few years,you came out smelly like a rose.

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrads on your new mower tacoma. You got a great deal. Keep me posted on how the Velocity deck stacks up against your ultracut this spring.

6. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Excellent! :clapping:

I'm glad you went back and checked again.
    That is an outstanding deal Tacoma. You should be on cloud 9.
    I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I love mine.

Justa FYI in case you're interested:

I'm not sure if the oil filters are all the same for big blocks, but for the 35hp it crosses to a 84035 Car Quest (the better grade WIX). IIRC, it was about $4.

Extra blade bolts from J-Thomas - Part # JT-9807 $4.05

J-Thomas 21" mulch blades - Part # BL-921 $9.01 in qty
    J-Thomas 21" regular blades - Part# SG-3434 $7.70 in qty
    J-Thomas 21" 3" wide Hi-Lift blades - Part# SG-3445 $9.18 in qty

All blades have worked very well for me as long as they're sharp, but maybe your situation is a little different. The blade bolts are fine also. No problems. I bent a couple this past year being a cowboy and therefore needed replacements. :hammerhead:

The Jungle Jack works very well on your machine. That is a great investment. Maybe Santa will come early?? I also take the precaution and use a small jackstand under one of the forks.

15/16" is the size for the bolt head and nut. If you poke around, blade changes can take as long as 10 minutes. I just hit them with the impact and they're done in no time.

I'm not sure if you mulch or not. I tried just the discharge block off plate and it doesn't work as well as it did on the advantage deck. I got lots of clumps in grass. I have yet to purchase the full kit, I may not even do so. I mainly just mulch leaves, birds, and sticks anyway.

I do have a problem cutting in reverse, or pulling into an area, then reversing with the blades engaged if I came in while cutting. With this deck, it will leave a nice sized pile of clippings along the front when you pull back out. If you do a little alcove or around a very small fenced area with no room for turn around, you may have to go back with the blower to scatter clumps if you don't trim. The advantage deck did not to this for me. Hopefully you don't have this problem.

For regular discharge, this deck is wonderful. I don't scrape near as much as with the older velocity. Clippings go farther and scatter better also.

Be careful when you launch in dry grass! :laugh:

I bet you're just itchin' for warm weather now, huh? :usflag:

Congrats!

A

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Tacoma its about time... haven't you been shoppin since you got rid of the Hustler? I remember you are doing some heavy cutting, sounds like that BEAST will handle your application nicely. Good investment.

8. tacoma200

Yea, that last purchase left me gun shy. I guess that's why I've been asking so many questions and waiting for a deal. Thanks for the good wishes. You too Audrey, thanks for the info.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wow!... I'm happy for you.

Last year was a bad overall sales year in general for commercial mowers.
    Glad you got the benefit of that.

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews on this machine.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Tacomo ....so Scag got you to buy and they didn't have to change the dampers after all...hope this machines does the job for you.