1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Got this cutomer who wants me to..

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Outdoor_Maintenance_2010, Sep 1, 2010.

1. BCLawns

BCLawns LawnSite Member

First sign of trouble is when a customer tries to tell me how to cut grass.
  2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree.......Good advice.
  3. CutterCutter

CutterCutter LawnSite Member
    from WV

I think every LCO runs into this kind of customer from time to time, I know I have. There's really no way of continuing with one of these people. You have to get rid of them.

Sometimes you can save the job by educating them but most of them can't be educated. I've got to the point where I don't spend much time trying to save a job. If the customer isn't happy I thank them for the business they have given me and move on. It's painful if you don't have lots of work but stay in the business long enough and you'll be up to your eyeballs with good customers.
  4. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

I have one. Good paying job! Way more than it's worth! That's for sure!
    She is much nicer now and we ge along! I try to make friends not enemies (spelling)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Frank's Lawn Care

Frank's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from fla

I have one account that always leaves clippings. I cut it first thing and she must water that morning. It's only on her front lawn. If i bagged the front it made it easier. Also have to blow clumps there too. She pays great and leaves me a bottle water every cut. My kind of customer..:cool2:
  6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Your the pro.

Being your a pro you should know that before you touch the mower there would be a ton of clippings left over.

As a pro you should of known:

that customers will not accept clippings left on the lawn when you are done

mowed the lawn at the regular setting then mow it again at a lower setting so the clippings would be small enough to disperse and not be seen

mowed the lawn at the lower setting then go over the lawn a second time to disperse the clippings

that the only way you were willing to do the job she was going to have to accept piles of clippings on her lawn.

You refused to do the job right.

You refused to comunicate with the customer on how the job was going to look when you were done before you did it.

You failed to meet your customers needs and then you complain that the customer was unreasonable and she dumped you.
  7. 1bigdaddy62

1bigdaddy62 LawnSite Member

None of you guys have addressed the Underlying issue here. Send her a vibrator with a fresh set of batteries... problem solved. Now you can cut the grass any height you like it.
  8. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

I have had a few customers that said the grass gets too long in between cuttings and I simply tell them one of two things, a let's put you on the schedule for every week or b, I educate them that I can't cut fescue below 3 inches. I explain why and that if they want shorter grass I would be happy to give them a quote for bermuda or something. I personally, would rather lose a customer than to have the yard look like crap because the homeowner is telling me how to do my job. If they can't understand that I will do what is best for their yard and lawn and this is what I do for a living, they I don't bother havong them as a customer. If I cut it short because they want me to, well nothing good is going to come of it. They will be unhappy cause it will yellow and show dead spots, and I will look bad if people drive by and see me taking care of a yard that looks like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Gravelyftw

Gravelyftw LawnSite Member

That should be how it is, IMO. I cant afford to have people/potential customers riding by and seeing me cutting a fescue yard at 2 inches with brown spots and clippings everywhere. I want someone to ask the homeowner who is doing their yard because they think it looks great, and they want to hire me. Not because it looks awful, and they want to avoid me.

But from the way it sounds im thinking the yard is bermuda grass and weeds for some reason.
  10. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

Yea I see what ur saying and I think it does depend on the area too. Here in san diego everything is bagged for the most part so there really is never the issue of clumps. If someone sees me just mulching they usually will complain even if u explain it to them. But to get around this I have learned a little trick that someone mentioned on here. I have a snapper 21 hi vac and thye suggested just to put the chute blokc in and still run the mower with the bag on it and no one will know the difference. Never had anyone say anything and I think as long as they assume its getting bagged then they feel im not lazy, regardless of if its better for the grass or not. I think its all about choosing your battles.
    Posted via Mobile Device