Got Tickets from Maryland DOT Today Help..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Nov 14, 2005.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. quick run down, My guys are in an f250 and towing a 7k trailer.

We dont have a dot number yet
    60.00 for no roadside triangles
    80.00 for no fire ext
    80.00 for no medical card for the driver

misc tix for no dot , etc

Does anyone in Maryland know how to get DOT number and all the things needed to stay legal??

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

DOT are ball busters. I drove a tow truck for 2 years and one time got 4,560 some dollar ticket for a boatload of violations on a brand new tow truck. Dumb stuff like you said and other stuff

3. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

DOT can write tickets???

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd be curious to know how to get one as well...

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it sounds odd, but get it from the horse's mouth, not here at Lawnsite.com.

If you use a positive tone, the cop will probably actually appreciate the cooperation. If you choose to go to court, the cop will be able to testify that you are interested in compliance. If you demonstrate compliance (receipts of purchase of fire ext, etc) the judge may even dismiss the case.

KB

6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I found them in the blue pages two months ago , I am in De. the woman said if I was over 10,000 lbs I needed the # and she was going to do it over the phone or start it over the phone - but it seemed easy to get as much as I remember.

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I got mine through the internet. Go to your state dot website.

8. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

I used the Internet also. I was able to print out all of the forms. I cant remember the exact website, but a quick search and you should be able to find something. The form I used was the Motor Carrier Identification Report which is the application for DOT #.
    Staying legal means medical cards, fire ext, triangles, spare fuses unless vehicle equipped with circuit breakers, annual vehicle inspections, maintenance reports.

I agree with Albemarle. Be nice and polite, and keep your equipment looking clean and safe. DOT knows exactly what they are looking for. I think in my region they look for the older and abused rigs and go the easy target.

9. ynvvbr

ynvvbr LawnSite Member

We also got ours on the net. We even got stopped, but the guys wee really nce to the cops, walked around the truckwaster about a half our making notes of what "they" wanted to see and they got off for a warning. I called the cop a day later and thanked him for helping us out. They aren't trying to be jerks from what I gather but trying to keep some of the bs that goes on from happening. It sucks but oh well.

Also once you get a DOT number you need to keep DOT records because if they inspect your records and they dont have them, they'll pull your number.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I got mine online as well and took about an hour. It's kind of confusing, but once you complete the form, they give your DOT numbers right there online. I went to a DOT seminar that was held at a local mower dealer/repair shop (very good idea) this past spring. They said 90% of the time, for somebody in this business, they wouldn't even pull you over if you have your DOT numbers posted on your vehicle.