Got to love the oil companys!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DENNIS MOW, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DENNIS MOW

DENNIS MOW LawnSite Member

Going to be a very expensive spring and summer around the states. Got to charge the customers more to cover fuel. What are some of the prices around the states. Around here we are pushing 3.10 a gallon. :hammerhead:

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude this has been beaten to death. If you go one page one way or the other you will find the very same topic to post in.

Yes, gas is expensive and charging more is the #1 priority. Running synthetic fuel and maintaining a tight route is another important part.

Good Luck and welcome to LawnSite.com

3. greenhornet

greenhornet LawnSite Member

gas prices s--k here on long island $3.30 today for reg. some one told me about a web sight called gas buddy.com here they give a listing of all prices of gas in previous years. use it when you notify your customers that you are returning for another year to service them. then you lay it on them that you have to charge more. good luck. '' the green hornet"

4. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

$173.80 per 55 drum in ocala that is the low grade.
    I set my prices as if it were already $5.00 per gallon save the differance so when it gets that high I got a little play time.

5. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

X 100,000,000:)

6. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

This is a great idea, I am doing the same thing. I think it will top 4.00 here this summer.

7. millenium_123

The price of oil hit $104 today! Do you realize it has DOUBLED in 1 year? What will happen if this trend continues?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I'm sick and tired of these stupid threads, too.

So I think everyone who feels the price of gas is high should do some research so as to better understand the current problems we all face, because once you're up to date on the crisis I believe the price of fuel will be the last of your concerns.

Now either reduce your consumption, increase your prices, or stop complaining.

We could, of course, take the easy way out and just increase prices and leave it at that.
    That would be the absolute dumbest way of dealing with it, but it works and I still accept dumb solutions over none at all.

9. millenium_123

I'm aware of the other issues, I'm not an idiot. This was just on my mind. And if you are "sick and tired of these stupid threads" stop responding to them.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is the answer to ignorant business owners' problems always "make the customer pay more?" That's the philosophy of monopolies like energy providers and oil companies themselves.

It is your job and duty to reduce internal costs before raising external. If you have not made the proper cuts internally and simply want to charge it to the end-user, then you may want to get into an industry with less competition. Landscaping and lawn care are commodities, my friend, and people (in general) will sacrifice commodities in economic uncertainty, rather than pay more for them.

Ask yourself the question: "If my lawn costs more to maintenance than ever before and I am more uncertain as to my economic position than ever before...would I pay more or mow it myself?"

PS: "Ignorance" is not stupidity!