Got to try a Cub 48"ZTR...

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by DoetschOutdoor, Apr 16, 2007.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

One of the realtors I work for had me mow while their out of town and I showed up only to find out that I was able to use their 48" Cub Cadet Ztr. I have my own mowers but wasnt going to pass up using someone else's equipment or trying out a mower I hadnt been on.
    This model had the Z-wing option which allows the 48"deck to be folded up to about as small as a 36" or similar.

The only things I really disliked about the machine was the wimpy back tires they have. The fronts are definately of commercial grade, as the rest of the mower seemed to be, but the back tires just didnt seem right. This ZTR also seemed a little smaller than some of the other ones I see out there, just makes me wonder how sturdy this model really is built. I enjoyed using it as I think its about 10mph faster than my WB and its alot easier to sit for a 1 acre lot rather than stand..
    Few pics...

Cub1.JPG

Cub2.JPG

Cub3.JPG

Cub Stripes 3.JPG

Cub Stripes 2.JPG

2. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice stripes--My TANK 54" does nice stripes also. I think CUB is no longer making that model with the wing!! Mind is also very nice to ride on for hours.

3. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

I didnt think that they made it either but I called my dealer and got a price so that makes me think they are still offering it....The lady told me that this mower is going to be for sale soon although they paid almost 6k and it only has 50 hours on it so Im sure her price will still be pretty high. The tanks are a little more solid and bigger than these models right??

4. N.H.BOY

That wing is a Comm. model for sure. The other ones you get at home depot and tractor supply are home owners which is a lower grade, but that is pretty solid I think!! The back tire seems smaller on that, and my 54 is solid all around. Check there web site under comm.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Is the wing folding done hydraulically? I really like that!

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

From my understanding Cub had some issues with the wing model. something to do with the linkage thats puts the wings up and down.

Those stripes look very nice and that is a commercial mower for sure. But just remember that according to a few members here cub commercial is junk. I on the other hand disagree. I love our M48 Tank.

7. DoetschOutdoor

from S. IL

I know for sure that this model is a commercial unit, it just seems a bit lacking compared to a ferris, exmark, or whatever. It just seemed smaller than the typical commercial ZTR and kinda did remind me of the Lowe's/HomeCheapo model. The deck is folded up from a cable I believe...when you bring it up or down you can see a pulley and cable so thats making me think its done by a cable but I could be wrong. Dont get me wrong, it is a very nice mower (especially when you consider I only have Wb's) but it just seems a little underbuilt coming from someone who has been through alot of homeowner equipment back in the day and is now used to commercial grade. I enjoyed the experience of using somthing new and hopefully this lady will use her influence to land me the subdivision entrance and I can go out and buy my own ZTR.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It looks cheaper because it has to in order for it to work right. The whole purpose of that wing mower is to get into gated areas that may have a large area to cut. If you put big tires on it then it wouldnt fit through the gate which defeats the purpose of the mower.

There is nothing cheaply made or cheap looking on there normal ZTR line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. N.H.BOY

Right on with some folks dislike the TANKS for everone has their input---but I have had no promblems with mine. Now after looking at those first pic's of the wing it does look like the models that home depot sell because of the area where you change deck height and choke and such, but it looks like the deck is a 7 gage for sure and floating deck. LOVE THE CUBS COMM.

10. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

They still make it we sold on yesterday.