Got two cancellations yesterday.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Nov 6, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Got two checks today from clients. One I charged an extra 5 lousy dollars for spending 25 minutes picking up limbs and pine cones (they were told before I ever started doing their yards this is an extra charge) and a note was attached that read "we never want you to cut our yard again if you are charging extra". I sent a letter back saying " thank you for your patronage and sorry you did not like the extra charge but you was informed of this from the beginning, I have removed you from the schedule". Second check had a note attached saying " we do not want you to come back until the spring being the grass has slowed down". This yard has 5 pecan trees and at least a dozen large pines. How many limbs, pine cones and straw do you think they will drop in the next four months and the low life's will expect me to do it for 40 bucks. I sent them a note "thank you for your patronage but this is unacceptable for your yard, I will drop you from my schedule, once again thank you and good luck in your search for a new lawn care provider". That makes the 7th cancellation in the past 2 weeks. Awww, I love this time of the year. And almost all the yards are loaded with trees and pines. They will call back in the spring expecting me to do them for the same price and Homey ain't playing that game no more! Tell me again about all your fall and leaf cleanups:D

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Sounds like you are having some fun

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't of droped the second people just make sure stuff is cleaned up in the spring or charge them for it.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

QUALITY--why are you wasting your time and money writing letters back to people that have told you to get lost?

it seems very counter-productive to me.

GEO

5. QualityLawnCare4u

I always thank people for their patronage, its called being a decent nice businessman. Now if one is downright ugly thats another story. And the second one is one I just picked up 2 months ago. I felt like they were going to be stingy and I know after 8 years these will call back in the spring and what is normally a one hour yard is now an 8 hour done for the regular price. I see it year after year, just came earlier this year than the norm. I usually make it till around the first of December before this starts. When a person drops me instead of acting like throwing a temper tantrum like a kid like to end it polite and leave them with that look "wow, he did not get mad like most folks around here". Believe me, it aint easy and I would like to pull a BG everytime but its not me. There has been several times over the years that I was NOT nice if my wrong button is pushed like "can you do my 7 acres for 4 bucks per hour".:D Here is a good example, lady dropped me last year next door to one of my clients for a cheaper than 25 per cut price. I still wave and smile at her everytime Im next door to her and she always comes out and tells me "Im sorry I got this other guy, he is so rude and demands his money before he starts, you even held my check for me more than one time". Nice guys do finish last :( the more I type the more Im getting mad at myself for being nice, maybe BG is correct.:)

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Quality,

I'm getting the impression from your posts,people in your area really don't make their landscape much of a priority.Correct me if I'm wrong,and i mean no disrespect.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

QUALITY--your decent nice businessman letters seem a bit argumentative to me and quite unnecessary. but that is just me I suppose.

good luck with the pecan trees. we have maples here.

GEO :)

8. QualityLawnCare4u

Bill, you are correct on about 70% dont care as long as they can walk to their mailbox and the grass does not hide the dogs and kids. About 30% are tickier, these are the ones I want to turn into the 100% of all my clients.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

Geo, I thought they were nice compared to some of the folks on here or for my area anyway:D :D . I could have been like certain other lco,s and knocked on their door at 2AM with my shovel or sprayed their yard with roundup. And Ill trade you a pecan for a maple anyday!

10. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Show up in the Spring, tell them 1st time is $320 or whatever. They can either agree to it or find some fool to do it for $40.