Got Water?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

SKAPES LawnSite Member

:eek: Gotta have it!!!
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Memo to self..invent a water meter that measures in 1/32 gallon increments.
  5. You build a city in the desert you got to expect this. Let the people move out is my attitude. I was opposed to rebuilding New Orleans and I'm going to be opposed to getting water to a city in the desert. I can't remember his name except I think it began with Sam (Kenison?) but he died in a car wreck. Anyway his joke about sending aid to people in Africa leaving in the desert was. I'm paraphrasing, We don't need to send them food, we need to send them suitcases so they can get out of the desert.
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Sam Kinison... funny guy. I remember that routine..... in his trademark shouting "Mooooooove!!!!! There's no water there!!!!"

"This is sand. Nothing grows here. Know what it's gonna be like in a hundred years? It's gonna be sand! you live in a desert! We have deserts in America - we just don't live in them! Why don't you move to where the food is?"

Well, except for Las Vegas. But I think he was refering to the vast nothingness of a desert where there isn't anything else but sand.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think the problem extends beyond the water in a desert issue, but speaks to a larger issue of dwindling potable water supplies everywhere.
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Very true. I've had guys at work ask, "Why's this/that site looking kinda peaked?" and I've explained to them about too many people and not enough water to go around. Lately they've been coming in and saying, "Man... my water pressure at home is really dropping."
  9. Maybe out of ignorance you may not realize this, but where I live and work, where Hayes live and work, we wouldn't be able to live where we live If there wasn't an ability to store water, move that water to where we are and be able to consume that water. CA and many other western states are by their native climates arid with not a lot of local rain fall, for that matter, a lot of this U.S.A. is in that category.

The problem was because of piss poor planning, demand far exceed existing capacity. How many times have they (various state and fed entities)tried to damn up a river or build another water shed only to have the not in my backyard people, the environmental whacko's say you cant destroy this or that.

Look, not saying we don't need to better use our natural resources better, but at the same time, people must realize that something has to give.

Oh by the way, did I mention a lot of our fruit and vegetables are grown in an area that once was desert? Then there never would of been the creation of Mickey Mouse, had there not been the ability to store water in one place and move it to where it is needed.
  10. I guess the issue is you build a new watershed then what. You can only build so many watersheds furthermore people downstream of the rivers have rights to that water as well. There has to be a balance between the number of people allowed in an area and the resources available to sustain them. A desert is a desert because it doesn't have water. We are going through that right now. Texas went on a massive lake building program through the 50s and 60s and now we are tapped out. The population of this country is now what 400 million? As our water resources became more and more strained the cost of getting water to a city in the desert is going to be hard to justify. living where the water is plentiful and the cost of delivery is less expensive is going to be the end game when all is said and done. The water you have now is the cheapest water you are going to get.