Got Yellow Jackets??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Jul 5, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Just a bit ago, I was doing a one-time cut for a co-worker of mine. Just as I had about 3/4 of the yard done, BAM!! I start getting nailed by those little B@$tards. One of them got me in the back of the ankle, right ontop of that ligament that runs down the back of the leg. It hurts like heck when I go to bend my ankle, so I kind of have a hard time walking. He apologized over and over, and it's like I told him, it's not his faul. Anyone can get them, and you don't know you have them until it's too late. He only mows his yard once every 2-3 weeks, and I belive that is what gives those things time to build those nests. My other yards are cut once a week and I never have problems with them. Thank goodness I dont' have to do this yard again. Anyone else run across any yellow jackets yet? :angry:
  2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

No yellow jackets. But the only time I hate this job is when I get hit by those GD WASPS!! Honestly I have been stung by them so much that I now get a reaction. Lots of swelling. Bees just hurt for awhile. But those wasps are bad news when they build their nest in the shrubs and you don't see them.
  3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean about the wasps, nelbuts. A few years back, I was taking the tarp off of a trailer and one of those dang things nailed me right in the index finger. I swear it felt like I layed my finger out on a table and let someone smash it with a hammer. It hurt that bad!! :(
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Last year was the absolute worst in terms of yellow jackets building nests in the ground (probably cause of the drought that allowed them to bury in). I ran over with mowers and got stung 7 different times last the previous 8 years, a total of twice! I hate those things with a passion. They will chase you clear across a yard and then some when they're pissed.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My employee was using a power seeder or renovator a couple years back and ran across an underground nest. He was sitting in the truck cussin up a storm and the darn things were running into the window trying to get him. I have been stung quite a few times myself. Lost my wedding ring while flailing my arms trying to get them off of me. Never did find the ring but I found their nest and emptied 2 cans of wasp killer in it that night. Revenge is sweet, but the stings still hurt.
  6. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

Yellowjackets are wasp, not bees. The worst bug has to be white faced hornets.
  7. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen many, if any, yellowjackets around so far this year. Maybe because of all the rain and the clouds, they haven't been out and about yet? Even with the last 2 weeks of wicked hot temperatures, I haven't seen them.. And usually I do, way back in the first weeks of June.

8. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

YEP! They are one of the most aggressive wasps out there.

I was sealing a deck a few years ago. Was on the deck, no rails on it yet. Saw a bunch of them swarming, so I went to the corner until they settled down. I saw one coming from 50+ yards away. A 'bee-line' right for my leg. OUCH!

I just jumped off the deck and ran. Bought some wasp spray. Revenge is sweet.

For the ground dwellers. Bumble bees, yellow jackets, etc. Dump a cup or two of diazinon in the hole. Works great!
  9. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

I agree the wasps are pretty nasty. About the bumble bees, they dont bother me too much, the other day i ran into a bush filled with them and they just all flew away. Ill probably jinx myself with this post.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

tim--I haven't seen much of them this year so far.

I think it's still early.

they can set up a nest in the ground in less than one week no problem.

I have seen it several times! take care!