Gotta decide on new equipment soon!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Dec 19, 2006.

?

Of the 3 below, which would you buy?

1. eXmark

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. Hustler

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. John Deere

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying new equipment for next season, and I have it narrowed down to three choices (some would say two, as on manufacturer is owned by another).

Help me out with your opinions ... and trust me ... and know what they say about opinions.

1. eXmark
    2. Hustler
    3. John Deere

I am maybe looking at a WB, and a 54" Z

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Of the 3 listed, I would go with Exmark.

3. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

Hustler! No doubt about it.

4. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I have not used the others, so I would have to say exmark.

5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

i voted exmark but if you have a better relationship with one of the other dealers Id go with that one

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been on all 3...and there all good...Do the demo thing and see what suits you the best. and check out service...that meens alot too.

7. Greeninglawns

Greeninglawns LawnSite Member

All three brands are good, but I would look at dealer support. Having great dealer support means alot to me when a mower goes down and getting a temp mower from the dealer to keep the production going.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Demo them all if you can, and see which one works the best for you.

I think any of the 3 would work well for a ZTR choice... But for a walk behind, I recommend Exmark's Turf Tracer or Turf Tracer HP.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked out the John Deere riders at a show this past summer, Many things about them I did NOT like. No doubt it is a decent machine, but I saw enough stuff about it I didn't like that I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Exmark and Toro are basically the same and my last mower before switching to Scag was a Toro. It cut pretty good and overall was a decent mower, but they cheapen the mower by using bushings on the pivot points for the idler arms on the belts to the deck and hydro pumps. I had alot of problems with the main deck belt jumping off the rear idler arm pulley and had to replace the belt and arm and pulley several times over the 1200 or so hours I ran the machine. I would buy another, but.........

After using the Scag now for 3 years and seeing where they use ball bearings in the idler arms, and other touches like that, I believe the Scag really is the best mower you can buy and worth the slight price premium it takes to buy one.

Get a Scag Wildcat is my suggestion. I have been loving this new Wildcat I just bought and the velocity deck is outstanding.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Exmark has served me well and if you have a good dealer the customer service is excellent as well.