1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gotta love employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Get this, guy calls off today then at 2:00 calls and ask to get a pay advance of a 100.
    Thats it for me fellas solo for now on!!!!!!!! This relying on employees sucks. Sorry just needed to vent!
    Called off saturday, called off today, then ask for moneyyyyyyy are you serious?????
    Everyone wants top dollar then work 2 hours a day! Maybe Mexicans are not such a bad idea?
  2. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Go by the laundromat on Sundays and pick up a whole new crew...
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Oklahoma recently passed a new immagration law and I believe I heard this is the first of this type and strictest of any state.

I have coffee every morning 7-days a week at Mc Donald's at 5:00 AM . Before this law was passed there were several crews of Mexicans either driving through or coming in for breakfast and coffee. We haven't seen any of them - not one Mexican in Mc Donald's after that new law.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It never ceases to amaze me either.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So he worked yesterday? I'd call him and tell him yeah, I got some money for you. When he comes over for it, give him his day's pay, and tell him he doesn't even have to pay it back. Then tell him good luck on his future endevours. We'll let you know if we ever need you again.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggested coming to work tomorrow then work a day. He said he needed the money imediatly. Cant come to work but can find time to hunt me down for money. Are you serious?????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead::dizzy:
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I got tired of relying on employees. Just too much headache. Also, payroll taxes and workers comp is too high. I went solo and will never go back to having help....until my son is old enough. Keep it in the family.
  8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a solo operator also. I agree when the boys get old enough they can work with me untilthen its just me.
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Same here - guy was alwaya late - never on time, never no money but could find money to ride around all day and smoke 2 packs. Ask for an advance so his cell phone doesn't get shut off - nope - he ended calling me and telling me that this situation isn't working for him and therefore he quit. Later on in the day we go past a Walmart and see his car parked there - 3 days later it is still there - one my other guys calls him - phone is no longer in service and his car - ran out of gas at walmart parking lot!
  10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

you just have to find the right employee and then pay him well. there are alot of losers out there and believe me i have had my share of them. with just one employee you can do about 3 times as much in a day as you can do by yourself......clay