Gotta love those last minute quote seekers....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 18, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Usually this time of year I'd just refer them to someone else. I figure if they are waiting this long, that there's a situation there that I don't want to be part of.

Anyways, got a call yesterday, had to meet with them today, and I figured I'd put a bid on this one.

It's the local city. We're already doing the township parks and such around there. In the past, they'd hired out to temp agencies and such, and leased their own mower.

Now they've decided that since the lease is up on the mower, that they should decide if they should hire out the mowing or not.

Now mind you, we just had 4" of snow a week ago, so don't go thinking that there's acres and acres of grass that's 8" tall already, most hasn't even turned SLIGHTLY green yet, let along start to grow.

Anyways, just got done typing up the bid, I'll submit it for $19,950, or a flat $3325 / month for 6 months. We'll see what happens.

I've been thinking about hiring on a guy, full time yearly, salaried in the tune of $40,000, so this would be about 1/2 of his wages in about 2/3 day mowing / week. This is based on 22 weeks of mowing.

Soooo.... anyways, seems like just when you've gotten all the calls you think you're going to get, there's always one or two that throw you for a loop.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If you are hiring.... :laugh:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Really, 40k a year to be a trim man? What a job.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

If you pay him 40K what are your real cost to employee this person?

5. LwnmwrMan22

Right about $55k, give or take.

He'll be more than a trim man. I target large open areas, little trimming, few trees.

I'm looking to hire someone that'll be able to plow about 20 hours each time it snows, plus I do firewood as well, so he'll have to help with that all winter.

The guy I'm targeting right now makes about $32k at his current job, plus full benefits. I've already done the $10-15 / hour thing 8-12 years ago. It doesn't work. Someone doesn't want to have a job where they don't have any money in the winter.

The guy I'm after right now makes about $20 / hour. So, what's the difference if I pay him $25, or just put him on at $40k salary??

If I'm going to hire someone, it's going to be someone that can take over my operation if I need them to, not just a trim man. Someone that can be a crew leader, foreman, etc. Someone that can cut my hours from 80 / week down to about 50-60.

6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

as long as there's profit invoved with his addition, even if that profit is 20-30 more hrs of fre time for you.... you sound like you know what you're doin, plus the winters are pretty long up there,plenty of fire wood to split, sound like a bargain for a responsible guy for 12 months a year instead of 6....

one question: are his plow hrs inc. in his salary??? or is that broken out sep. i'd make sure plowing wasn't xtra cost to you, imo.

good luck

7. LwnmwrMan22

His duties will be all activities related to lawn maintenance, snowplowing and firewood sales.

These will include, but are not limited to mowing, trimming, blowing, becoming a certified chemical applicator, light landscaping, snowplowing, shoveling, firewood production, sales and delivery.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That's cool so you offer few benifits just a good salary. I am need to find myself someone to pay a good salary too as well because finding good help is hard. Not sure more money will do it alone.

9. LwnmwrMan22

At the job he's at right now, he makes $32k / year, with full benefits.

His wife can take over the insurance at her job, at the same price, so that's not a real concern, and if I pay him around the $40k mark, that amount of money would be more than the current company puts into his 401k. He can set up a new retirement himself, or he can use more money to build a house, whatever, that's up to him.

Anyways, back to the original topic.

I dropped off the bid today, $19,950 for the year, and was informed that there's going to be an actual bid sheet to put together.

I suppose that will end up taking another week or two, that it'll be mid-May before this is finally settled.

It doesn't really bother me a whole lot though. There's a landscape company in town that does EVERYTHING at about 15% cheaper than me, and I'm already at about $20 / acre for the mowing.