gotta mower question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by KY_XB2003, Feb 3, 2006.

1. KY_XB2003

KY_XB2003 LawnSite Member
    from KY

I',m sure this has been asked a thousand times and probably may have even started some arguements. I'm not trying to do that. I am getting ready to buy a house and five acres. I've never mowed anything near that big before. My question is what mower is the fastest way to get it done. I'm not one of those people who is real particular about the yard looking "just so"....I just want it mowed!!! What should I consider for a mower? Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

fastest way would be a ZTR

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

For 5 acres I would look into a ZTR. Depending on what brand you buy they can get expensive depending on deck size, engine, etc. A good Zero turn that is usually priced more than a thousand or more lower than most other brands is Lesco. It is a well built commercial grade mower at a great price.

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely a Zero Turn, but with 5 acres you may want to get at least a 60 inch mower. I guess you could get larger cut but keep in mind that you have to mow around your house as well as the more open areas. I would recommend no smaller than a 48inch cut for sure. It just depends on how much of your Saturday you want to spend cutting grass. Or, you could just hire one of us and then you could spend all day fishing or golfing.

Also with that much acreage don't even consider anything but a commercial grade mower. Exmark, Toro, Scag, to name a few of them. Talk to a local dealer about this. If he is an honest dealer he will steer you toward what will work best for you.

5. KY_XB2003

from KY

Sounds like its unanimous,........thanks guys

6. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

where in KY are you?Maybe you could have someone here give you a bid and then figure what it would cost yoou to buy a ZTR and what your time is worth- might be cheaper to hire out.

7. KY_XB2003

from KY

I am looking to buy in Scott or Harrison county.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you want to have 5 acres of turf? I can see having 1 - 2 acres, beyond that I'd suggest doing major tree planting to get some wooded areas started.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good points made here, but just so ya know expect to be shopping in the 7-10k market for this one. Might consider hiring an lco or try the tree planting suggestion.

10. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

In the long run it would be cheaper to pay the heavy price tag to buy your own 7k-10k mower. When you don't need it again you sell it. You get most of your money back and it still comes out to be cheaper then paying someone to mow it for you. If you don't want to mow it then you hire out. To save moeny you buy it then re sell it if you ever move.