Gotta problem!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Feb 24, 2005.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 48" inch Lesco Hydro WB. It is probably 5 seasons old, and a little over 1000 hours. One of my pumps is very slow when i start it up, or when it is cold. However after a few minitues the pump works okay. The valve is tight ( to release the pump so you can push it around) and their is not any play underneath like a bearing is bad. The idler pulley is also tight. So i am concerned it is the pump, and that is expensive. Anyone have a similiar problem. It has been awhile since i had the hydraulic fluid and filter changed. Could that be it??
    No problem with the other side though!
    Lesco said a new pump is around 450.00 bucks before it is installed.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Eric

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a filter and oil change is a cheap test and fairly easy to do....1000 hours on a 48" hydro. Yeah 450 for the pump isn't cheap, but its cheaper than a new mower...

it could have some air in the system causing the pump to caviate until the oil gets nice and warm. Does it do just the first lawn in the morning or every time you start it up.....Ie if you start it up and let it get warm it runs fine, but it you shut it off and wait 10-15 minutes does the problem repeat itself....

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

you most likely have an air leak you need to take it to a dealer and fast
    unless you can fix it yourself.the pumps wont last long if this is the case

4. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I to would say an air leak. look in the tank with the engine running if the flluid is bubeling the it is an air leak. I had a mower that the pump was weak and I put some hydralic booster in it. It really made a big differance. It is still running fine that was last spring.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Just Change the hydro Oil and filter, and if that doesn't help Just Baby themachine until your ready to replace the pump

6. VnDrWLawnCare

If i can remember right, it really only does it when the machine is cold. After a few minitues of kinda pushing it around, it finally kicks in and is usually fine. It might act up again another time during a day, but i really do believe it is only when the machine is cold. To be honest i think it has been awhile since i changed the fluid ( probably 500 hours ago ). I guess that is not good. It has been doing it for a good portion of the season last year, and i just let it warm up and then used it. I better get the fluid and filter changed ASAP.

Thanks for the help
    Eric

If i have air in the system, wouldn't that effect both pumps and not just one? Because my other pump is strong. Just a thought?

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

In theory, air should affect both pumps, but I'll agree with one of the previous post about having a small air leak in one pump....when cold it sucks some air and then once warm the seals/metal fittings swell up to close the gap....It would be on the Low Pressure side of things. It may not be a bad Idea to put a wrnch on a few of the fittings to make sure they are snug... If it was on the High Pressure side I'd have a Hydro leak for sure....

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had similar problems with one of my cubs, especially when it is cold. Usually after about 5 minutes of warming up it works great.

9. club54

club54 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I change my hyd every year
    cheeper this way then a new pump

10. VnDrWLawnCare

First i am going to make sure that all the fitting are snug, then take it in for a hydro oil and filter change. Hopefully that solves the problem. I hate to drop 500 or more dollars into a pump. I guess i will have learned from my mistakes if that is the case.

Just 2 weeks ago it was 60 degrees out. Today it is snowing with a dusting. I dont get this weather. I hope it stops and warms up soon, so i can get the mower out and take it to the shop.

Thanks
    Eric