gotta respect you guys who use the big walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Jun 18, 2004.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i have always been curious to try one of the big walk behinds that you guys are always talking about on here.. So finally i did, the guy down the street from me is selling a scag sw48z.." holy sheeeeeeeet". I honestly do not know where i would use this thing.. i gave it a demo in the guys backyard and it caused more damge to the lawn than cutting it. i have some big properties that i mow but i think i will stick to my rider......
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

To me the 48 is a small walkbehind. In the days before I bought A ZTR we used to run a 72" Scag. It was good for mowing the big areas.

I still believe that the 48/52 is the most versatile machine around. ZTRs are great but a 48 is like old faithful.
  3. Hrock

Hrock LawnSite Member

I never use anything less than 52" I used to use a 61" ferris walk behind. I could see using a 48 for small areas but my 52's fit almost everywhere i go
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

we use a 61 inch scag and a 36 inch walkbehind we use the 36 in gates etc but once you get the hang of it the 61 is really easy to use
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

scott--I understand about your tearing up a lawn with a big mower after only knowing how to use a homeowner rider.

I did the same thing when I demoed my LESCO 48. I ran the thing around the guys yard leaving skid marks and turn divots everywhere. not pretty.

and then guy then pointed out my mistakes, showed me how to use the machine, how to turn and how fast to mow for conditions and ever since, no problemo.

and if you scalped, that is operator error and therefore your fault also.

THEREFORE...scott, I suggest that you go back and learn something about commercial lawn care and come back and tell us about it after you do. good luck.

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you have to learn to feel the machine and the ground your going over.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You must become one with the machine. My father can't seem to get that. He does more damage than good when trying to cut our lawn.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 48 10 years ago and even then it seemed like a toy. Now, we only run 52's and 61 inch WB's.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

We need the 48s around here. Lots of small openings, uneven terrain etc that would get a bigger mower stuck, cause scalping or other problems. We use the bigger ones when possible but the 48s can do it all.
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the 48" size. I have run 36" and 52" WBs also but the 48" seems to be the most versatile and productive size for the properties I take care of.

You have to work with the machine and not fight the controls. It takes a light touch especially on the hydros.

If your not used to running big machines then it will just take some practice, practice practice.

I am able to use my 48" hustler SWB on lawns as small as 2000 sq ft